SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an oil change yesterday and found a little oil seepage on the oil cooler lines. Are they under high pressure? Will they continue to seep or actually spring a leak? Would you bother to replace them?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yup, replace or rebuild. I just did this job, took me 3.5 hours. That included a new radiator, new oil cooler lines and new oil thermostat. Make sure you go volvo. I wouldn't rebuild them, simply because it can be a B of a job to replace them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
oh they can seep quite a lot. I'm losing about 5 tablespoons a day, my regular parking spot looks like an environmental disaster site. It's starting to show up in small droplets on the rear glass too. Got the parts yesterday, my Volvo guru will get the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
281 Posts
they are a pita to replace by themselves. doable, but frustrating. one of mine developed a pinhole and left a small puddle while idling in the driveway. i was in a pinch and got a rebuilt set from a fellow on volvospeed. they have been fine so far. new volvo ones are quite pricey.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I had mine rebuilt by a local heavy equipment hose shop.
They used arctic grade materials and cost half of new OEM.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at the dealer sorting out my reoccurring SRS when I read your replies. Went ahead and ordered lines, thermostat, various O rings, gaskets and the radiator. I think the radiator is the cause of my slow coolant leak. I believe the top neck is cracked. There is a tell tail residue.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
PIA to do and use OEM lines $$$
The ones from Groton do not fit properly
and yes, you need to do this pretty quickly, the alternative is not too good.....

·
Registered
632 Posts
or just find a newer style waterpipe and pan w/ oil cooler and slap em on with some fresh sump o rings ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Where are you guys finding blue box oil thermostats for the 93-98 cars? Volvo said they are discontinued and I was unable to shake any free from nearby dealerships ...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dealer ordered one from his distribution warehouse, theoretically it should show up tomorrow.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey,
One of my old high school buddies lives out at the lake. He has been after me to come down before the worst of the winter hits.
If you are doing the radiator at the same time your oil cooler lines will be an easier install than mine. I suggest tying a "pull-string" to the end of the oil cooler line to be pulled through as you are removing the old lines. The "pull-string" is left in place and provides guidance through all of hoses and wiring to show the path for the installation of he new lines...it is a bear.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Feel free to PM me his number, I'm always looking for people willing to ski/board in this weather. My group of 10 morning slalom guys gets paired down to 4 nut-jobs willing to go anytime the weather cooperates. Went out yesterday, air 49, lake 43, mostly sunny, wind N at 4. Little bit bumpy but hey, skiing in December!

Why I keep a moose around.

Thanks for the tip. Volvo tech suggested radiator comes out from the bottom, any other usefully suggestions?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Feel free to PM me his number, I'm always looking for people willing to ski/board in this weather. My group of 10 morning slalom guys gets paired down to 4 nut-jobs willing to go anytime the weather cooperates. Went out yesterday, air 49, lake 43, mostly sunny, wind N at 4. Little bit bumpy but hey, skiing in December!

Why I keep a moose around.

Thanks for the tip. Volvo tech suggested radiator comes out from the bottom, any other usefully suggestions?
http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/engine_repairs/turbo_radiator_replacement.html

·
Registered
428 Posts
Only the obvious, run the new oil cooler lines while the radiator is out of the car.
Oh, and by the way, while it is not a system that you want to take risks with, I think that the oil cooler lines can show signs of weeping, and still hold up for quite a while.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As predicted, the thermostat is made of unobtainium. So how important is it to replace? I haven't had a chance to call World PAC yet to see if an after market one is even available.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Spent the evening at Turbo16psi's shop for new cooler lines. I'm glad it's done; once the car was on the lift, there was a LOT of oil coating the chassis....and the floor pan....and the rear suspension....so yea, they really can allow a lot of leaking. Hopefully that's it, there was enough oil down there that it was tough to see if it was coming from anywhere else. It's raining today, but this weekend I'll put a piece of cardboard under her overnight to make sure we've gotten it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would bet that most don't replace the oil thermostat...maybe clean it up a little. You will want to have a new oil thermostat o-ring (the large rectangular one) around for re-install.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I would bet that most don't replace the oil thermostat...maybe clean it up a little. You will want to have a new oil thermostat o-ring (the large rectangular one) around for re-install.
I did, but I'm not most people lol. Got mine from FCP

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dammit, there's still fresh oil drops on the pavement today, still passenger side. Grrrr. the hunt continues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts