SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m in the midst of changing my drive axle and came across this:

After looking from above, there appears to be some gunk on top as well. I’m guessing it’s the turbo. I do go through at least a quart of oil between changes. Do I leave it and continue adding oil (which I’m fine with) or fix it because it’s a precursor to more issues?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Your turbo is probably fine. A quart of oil between changes isn't huge. Check the tightness of the clamps on the inlet and outlet of the turbo. There's a rubber coupler on the top of the turbo that can leak (or even tear) after many years. Hence, all of the crud on top of the turbo. I'd replace that and the larger one just before the intercooler. Then, degrease around the turbo. I did both of mine last year.

It looks pretty clean around the coolant and oil connections. Those are other potential sources of leaks.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your turbo is probably fine. A quart of oil between changes isn't huge. Check the tightness of the clamps on the inlet and outlet of the turbo. There's a rubber coupler on the top of the turbo that can leak (or even tear) after many years. Hence, all of the crud on top of the turbo. I'd replace that and the larger one just before the intercooler. Then, degrease around the turbo. I did both of mine last year.

It looks pretty clean around the coolant and oil connections. Those are other potential sources of leaks.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts