SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it's on here somewhere but search sucks. Anyway the other night I was running my car pretty hard and about an hour into driving around looking for some runs (lol) my "no oil pressure" light came on so I pulled over and check my dipstick and it was bone dry and looked under the car to find a leak I saw oil dripping and couldn't really tell exactly where it was since I'm lowered on coilovers and it was dark (3am). So yesterday I got it towed to my buddies shop we through it on the lift and they said it looked like it was coming from the crank seal so with that being said is that associated with the pcv being clogged? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance! Ps car is parked by my buddies shop and it's not being driven but I need a vehicle for work so what's the fastest most efficient way to solve this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yes usually the crank seal blows out when your PCV is clogged but I've had a cam seal blow when my PCV wasn't clogged so it's not a given. If your PCV system has never been replaced then you should do it while having all the oil seals replaced. If the timing belt has oil all over it you'll want to replace that too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much is the pcv job like 500+?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then the crank seal job so probably about 1100?

·
Registered
16,861 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ZZZZZZ and T501. My buddy has an exhaust shop and they are pretty decent mechanics I'm going to try to order some parts and get on this this ASAP hopefully get it resolved in the next week or so (she's my daily ) I'll keep y'all updated

·
Registered
505 Posts
I like how everyone blames the PCV for everything. Yes, with improper maintenance they can "push" on the seals, but a pcv system can't be blamed for this.

Stage zero is step 1 before modifying these cars. Part of that includes a pcv system overhaul.

If you add significant boost pressures across several hard runs, you're risking a blowout on a healthy engine like T501 mentioned. I had a front crank seal go on the highway shortly after the pcv system was serviced.

818s60, was this with the 20T installed? Curious as to what pressure you were running.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
19psi with stage 3 tune and 20T

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah, probably more than those seals were ever used to seeing before. At least it was seal/gasket related and not rod/piston/valve related ;-)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So mechanic said it's about 350 for the PCV replacement and most likely a cam seals

·
Registered
505 Posts
rear cam seals are a breeze. Fronts require some work. If it isn't crank seals then you were lucky.

PCV is an easy job to do yourself. If you installed your front mount, you could do a PCV.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh ok nice any specialty tools I need to tackle this or should my buddies shop have most of them able to conquer this

·
Registered
505 Posts
Really just need to lock the rear cams to do the front seals. That way you don't lose your cam timing when you pull the cam gears to replace the seals.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the pcv do I really need the whole kit .. Like the one on IPD or is it usually just one thing I need. Or should I replace the everything I'm on a pretty tight budget

·
Registered
505 Posts
The top hose, lower block hoses, and box are essential. The bigger hose with the hardline is a pain because of the banjo running coolant to the back of the head. I'd at least clean it or hit it with compressed air or carb cleaner.

Make sure the lower block channels get cleaned, I used a dental pick set to scrape away from the motor. Then usually shop vac the crud if there is any.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this mostly a mechanics Job or is it a possible diy if I don't have the cam lock tool can something be used as an alternative

·
Registered
505 Posts
I wouldn't diy without the cam lock tool unless you have done a timing belt before. It will involve releasing the belt tensioner and pulling the belt to get at the front cam seals.

If you've done a timing kit on a 5 cyl it's all diy. Based on what you're asking, I'd say let them handle the cam seals, and then do the pcv yourself.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok forsure thanks. My mechanic told me 550 for cam seals and pcv which seems pretty decent

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thats not bad at all.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yeah, if he's doing a FULL pcv replacement kit with all the right parts and the cam seals then toss him the keys for $550 ... good deal.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts