1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed a potential slow leaking/seeping of oil onto this part:

volvo_s40_oil_1.jpg

volvo_s40_oil_2.jpg

i am not sure if this is a consistent oil leak or if a mess that was made when the oil was changed, but i'm leaning towards the former (the oil change was at the end of last summer, and the oil on the part looks fresh-ish). is this the pcv breather box? i'd like to know where you guys think the leak is happening, because i can see oil all over that part, so it's either leaking from another part of the engine onto the part in the picture or the entire thing is leaking oil!

any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Slow is normal from there, mine had some grime+dirt. Basically that is your PCV box. It vents pressure from under that cap. If there is oil in the air when it vents (which is 99.9% of the time) it sticks to the outside and then collects dirt. This is normal on all of the PCV boxes.

The usual issue is a leak BEHIND the box between where it mates with the engine case. If you have a leak out of that PCV cap you should have the PCV Howl to go along with it, along with the over-pressure that is relieved by the oil cap removal or oil dipstick removal. If you have a leak elsewhere, it's probably not because of that cap. If you don't have howling, the PCV diaphragm also probably isn't bad.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! so i checked multiple times and tried to listen very carefully to see if i have the PCV squeal or not...in short, i don't! however, i do feel a slight vacuum when i remove the oil fill cap and put my hand over the hole; i feel my palm get sucked in. this is what i have noticed: after driving the car for a couple of minutes, i feel like opening and removing the oil fill cap becomes harder, and it feels like it's getting sucked inwards (towards the engine) to close the oil fill hole, and after removing the oil fill cap, i do hear a whooshing of air (probably into?) the engine if i listen very carefully. after realizing that, i also noticed that same whooshing sound when i removed the dip stick. but as i said before, i do not hear any PCV squeal at all. the only thing i feel is the vacuum of the engine (my pakm getting sucked in towards the engine at the oil fill hole) and the whooshing sound of air rushing (inwards?).

are these normal or signs of an emerging issue?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I had an oil leak at my PCV (oil filter) housing but there was no squeal typical of a bad PCV housing. Replacing the housing fixed it but I was not sure if the leak was from the housing or where it mounts to the block. One bolt was not very tight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had some oily/dirty residue on the same area of my V50. Kind of got worried about the prospect of having to do the intensive repair....but I cleaned it up well, did an oil change and made sure the gasket was on the cap properly and screwed it down tightly. Its been over a month and no sign of any oily residue. I may have not seated the gasket properly and had a bit of blow by under pressure.

Check the cap/gasket and clean it well. Monitor for a week or 2 and see how it goes. Also, keep and ear out for the squeals and such.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts