SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've got an oil leak I can't easily identify. The oil feels like engine oil but the only thing I can kinda that might be leaking is the hose with the oil drop in the 3rd photo which I think connected to the steering rack...

Anyone got any ideas, everywhere else looks dry except for what you would say is spray.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The third photo looks like there is a wet spot on the vacuum hose coming from the actuator. maybe its coming from behind the block or cam seals?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those two hoses in the photos are below the drive shafts and behind the sump.

I'll try and get a better photo tomorrow morning of the actuator area, but it looks fairly dry as I initially thought it might have been a turbo oil feed line.

Note, this is a right hand drive car.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Pull the upper timing gear cover and have a look behind it. Should be fairly easy to get off with 2 Torx bolts and a little wiggling. Glück

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the covers off and it looks like there has been some leaking, also checked the power steering fluid level and that's low also...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Looks like the exhaust VVT unit and/or cam seal is leaking. Is the engine side of the VVT unit wet? If so, I would do cam seals and the VVT unit - ideally both of them since you're there.

Clean all the oil then drive 30 miles or so. Then check to see if that's the only leak or is something else leaking as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the exact same issue and just ordered VVT unit and the cam seals.
My mechanic told me to buy the intake-vvt-unit. You're writing exhaust-side. IIRC my VVT-unit leaking is the aft one on the engine, the one shown in the picture. Isn't that the exhaust-side? (because he told me intake-side). Just ordered the 30646226

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have the exact same issue and just ordered VVT unit and the cam seals.
My mechanic told me to buy the intake-vvt-unit. You're writing exhaust-side. IIRC my VVT-unit leaking is the aft one on the engine, the one shown in the picture. Isn't that the exhaust-side? (because he told me intake-side). Just ordered the 30646226
The intake cam is closer to the front of the car. Exhaust is closer to the back of the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Okay, then i might have ordered the wrong vvt-unit... great. I asked him at least 3 times which to buy. sigh
Thanks!

€: Also the code reads "exhaust vvt faulty signal" (or similar, don't have the exact wording in mind) but he said its the intake-side.

·
Registered
179 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts