SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I noticed a few drops of oil on the floor of the garage, and when checking under the hood, I found a leak near where what I am guessing to be is the turbo intake for the engine. The oil is not a lot, a few drops on the floor every day or so... Upon checking the hose, it feels worn (still have yet to remove it) near the clamp. I do not feel a change in engine performance / behavior.

The car has 85k miles on it, and has been well maintained...

I would appreciate any feedback / advice, knowing the dealerships here, they will basically tell me to replace everything in the car they can think of !

Any advice ?

Thanks

B

·
Registered
668 Posts
Don't have the 2.5 but I have a 2.4 in my XC70 and it is not uncommon for them to leak a little oil form the intake hose due to faulty PCV system. However the more likely cause is the oil supply line for the turbo, which uses a o-ring to seal and bolt to hold the tube in place. If you look up at the turbo from underneath you should be able to see where the oil is coming from, if it is coming from the center of the turbo and then running down over the housing to the bottom of the turbo then the oring needs to be replaced. If the oil starts from the air hose and then runs down then I would check out pcv system. My XC70 has had a much smaller leak (no drips on garage floor, but the angle gear and splash guard have oil on them every time I do an oil change) and I am pretty sure it is the oil supply line weeping, it has been this way for 2 years now and I just have not gotten up the motivation to replace the o-ring, the job is supposedly a PITA to replace in the xc70.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's a T6 not a 2.5T engine. Looks like oil coming from the turbo. Try replacing the hose or the clamp.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
clean everything and replace the clamp. How offen do you change the oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the plan for the weekend... I change the Oil every 3000 miles...

Is there a repair manual for the XC90 ? I haven't been able to find one...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
there is no haynes manual for XC90, the more close that you can get is getting a copy of VIDA/DICE, which actually allow you to do everything that the dealer can do in your car, code reading, module test, etc, how´tos, everything less downloading softwares to your car. Cost is from $150-$220 usd.

·
Registered
668 Posts
B, I responded to your PM, and have looked at the picture here. I agree that is not the 2.5 T5, that is a T6. I would clean the hose and the mating surface with some carb cleaner and then retighten the hose clamp. That much oil is not somethign to be terribly concerned about. Do you see any drop in the oil level between changes? If not, then chances are you have a very minor turbo seal leak and I would not loose any sleep over it. On the XC70's the same thing can occur and people have suggested applying some gasket making compound to intake joints after cleaning the joints very well.

Others, the pm just contained a broken link to what I assume is the picture above.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My neighbor's 2.5T has an oil leak somewhere. I've looked underneath: The upper RH (rear) of the engine, around the turbo area, is dry and clean .... but the lower area, I think toward the front of the engine, is covered in engine oil .... I haven't yet been able to pinpoint the leak. I sure hope it isn't the oil cooler....again!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
About the 2.5T, check the two obvious ones: A leaking rear main seal blows oil out between engine and tranny. A leaking charge pipe - intercooler joint can dirty up the whole front end. Take the headlights off and inspect.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Looking at the photo, that line from the turbo should have NO OIL in it, so if there is a leak there it is an indication that the turbo bearing is going out.

If you have smoke upon startup before your catalytic converter gets hot, you know there is a lot of oil being blown down the pipes and there should be none. I had this same situation years ago with a 850 5-cylinder turbo, car ran perfectly as there was no mechanical issue except the oil was getting out the bearing in the turbocharger on the exhust side. If this is on the pressure side of the turbo, then the oil is going into the intercooler, probably pooling up and staying there until it can find a leak somewhere, Just my two cents.

good luck

P

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi P.

Thanks for the info.... I removed the clamped, did a cleanup, and tightened it up again... very little oil in the hose.... so I am guessing it is an early indication...
I am not very familiar with the turbo charger on the XC90.... where is it located ? and where is the intercooler located ?

What was the fix for your car ?

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
..... A leaking charge pipe - intercooler joint can dirty up the whole front end. Take the headlights off and inspect.....
I think this is the leak we have ... but why is there oil in there?? What is failing? Shouldn't this just be hi-pressure intake air?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts