SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found what I think is the reason my car burns oil on cold start. Does anyone know what would cause this.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
That’s not your cold start consumption. That’s just a drip cause by weep by from the charge piping/pcv ptc ect. Super common and basically just that drip you see.

Cold start oil smoke is a loose turbo and or old valve stem seals.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
What Scottish said. That drip from the turbo is normal, especially on a 23 year old car. Cold start blue smoke is more concerning.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s not your cold start consumption. That’s just a drip cause by weep by from the charge piping/pcv ptc ect. Super common and basically just that drip you see.

Cold start oil smoke is a loose turbo and or old valve stem seals.
Thanks for the information on the valve stem seals. I'll probably replace those soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now there's a new problem. Oil just leaked out of my cbv while I was replacing it.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Now there's a new problem. Oil just leaked out of my cbv while I was replacing it.

Sounds like the turbos pretty tired and loose. Rebuild or replace the chra. Personally I think that a new vsr balanced chra core is a much better use of time and cheaper in the end than rebuilding. I’d suggest replacing the exhaust manifold, manifold to turbo and turbo to gaskets while you’re in there. Maybe also toss the N manifold and throw a Japanifold or 2.5t/R manifold on while youre doing things.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the turbos pretty tired and loose. Rebuild or replace the chra. Personally I think that a new vsr balanced chra core is a much better use of time and cheaper in the end than rebuilding. I’d suggest replacing the exhaust manifold, manifold to turbo and turbo to gaskets while you’re in there. Maybe also toss the N manifold and throw a Japanifold or 2.5t/R manifold on while youre doing things.
Ok I've already got a replacement 15g and a japanafold

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
Ok I've already got a replacement 15g and a japanafold

Perfect. Grab a p1 chassis rnc exhaust manifold single piece gasket and you’ll be good to go

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Perfect. Grab a p1 chassis rnc exhaust manifold single piece gasket and you’ll be good to go
don't put it on upside down lol it fits that way you need to trim the corner to put it on right side up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts