SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had another discussion on a large oil leak but got hijacked by a few back and forth discussions - anyway - I found the cause of the oil leak being power steering fluid - not oil.
however I’m a little perplexed here. The leak is only large once the fluid is topped up but very small once it gets lower in the reservoir. So there is always fluid in the reservoir just low enough that it will start causing groaning noises. But when topped up it’s a large leak again.
i would have thought a reservoir leak would be underneath it but the leak appears to be coming from under the power steering pump itself.
is there a reason why the pump may leak large amounts only when topped up? There is still fluid or is it maybe only when under pressure.
is it common for pumps to leak or likely ‘just’ a hose?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had another discussion on a large oil leak but got hijacked by a few back and forth discussions - anyway - I found the cause of the oil leak being power steering fluid - not oil.
however I’m a little perplexed here. The leak is only large once the fluid is topped up but very small once it gets lower in the reservoir. So there is always fluid in the reservoir just low enough that it will start causing groaning noises. But when topped up it’s a large leak again.
i would have thought a reservoir leak would be underneath it but the leak appears to be coming from under the power steering pump itself.
is there a reason why the pump may leak large amounts only when topped up? There is still fluid or is it maybe only when under pressure.
is it common for pumps to leak or likely ‘just’ a hose?
I've found that the clamp holding the larger rubber hose in place at the front of the pump needs to be good and tight to prevent leaks. Might be something that simple.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts