SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some inspection of my V50 as I was getting some noises and I must have lost a bolt since my skid plate was loose in one area and causing "flapping" or scraping noises in another, so I started lifting to tighten up and Zip Tie.

After taking the skid plate off, I noticed there was a small pool of oil on the inside, underneath where the MAF lives, and followed the trail.

It was coming from the cylinder head area, I may not know the correct terminology but I am able to see a spinning disk, and a small drip where the oil is leaking from.

Is this something serious?

Am I missing a cover?

Faulty gasket?

I am going to continue to monitor my engine oil in the meantime, but I'm a bit scared to drive her now.

Running Castrol Edge 5W-30, and in Portland right now, it is ranging from 65*-90* F (18.3*-32.2* C)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like its leaking out of a cam seal. Also looks like you're missing the cover as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Cam lock covers missing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's weird. Looks like you are missing the cap. There's usually no cam seal on that side, just the cap.
It's unusual, because you normally have to stab them with a screwdriver and pry to get them out.
Get a new one (p/n 8670151) and drive it in tapping the edges until its flush with the head. I would check whether the other cam has its cap as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's weird. Looks like you are missing the cap. There's usually no cam seal on that side, just the cap.
It's unusual, because you normally have to stab them with a screwdriver and pry to get them out.
Get a new one (p/n 8670151) and drive it in tapping the edges until its flush with the head. I would check whether the other cam has its cap as well.
That part number is for a whole camshaft

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The oil that leaks out of the cam journal will gather near the plug. That is normal.
Perfect. Ended up getting it from local Volvo Dealer, just a buck more.

Fit like a glove, leaking stopped, adding a quart to top off later today.

Thanks a ton for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts