SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,361 Posts
Thought this would be a great tool for people to use. It allows you to click on different oil specs and see how their properties compare to each other. You can select specs like API: SN, ACEA: A3/B3, BMW Longlife-01 (LL01), Porsche A40, etc. See ratings for wear protection, sludge, piston deposits, oxidation thickening, and a few others.

I like to use ACEA A3/B3 at the very least for our engines and you can compare that spec to others. Mobil 1 5W-30 doesn't meet A3/B3, but some manufacturers make specific A3/B3 or A3/B4 5W-30 oils, such as Pennzoil Euro and Castrol A3/B4. Otherwise, all 0W-40 synthetic oils that I have found the data on meet the A3/B3 or A3/B4 spec. There's a brief list of them earlier in this thread listed in my spreadsheet of oil spec data.

According to this tool, ACEA A3/B3 is superior in its properties compared to the API SN, SN Plus. Enjoy: https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't know why I didn't write about this experience before because it relates to this. There was a time when our car spent a night out in the cold, like less than -25C. Next oil change I found that the Fram ultra synthetic oil filter had collapsed. I believe the number on it was XG10415. As this goes back more than likely two years I suspect the oil was Castrol 5-30 but could also have been Mobile-1, 5-30. Perhaps I should be looking at changing to the 0-40 oils. Too late for the next one though because I see a couple of jugs of Mobile 5-30 waiting in the garage. I am back to buying Volvo filters.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Back in the '70s I spun a rod bearing on a cold start at -20F (-30C) with 10W-30 oil. A good rule of thumb is to use an oil with a winter rating equal to the lowest temperature you're going to encounter. Now all we need is oils with a -20W rating...

Had a truck driver friend who worked on the Alaska pipeline. They never shut the engines down and had to "walk" the trucks every couple of hours to keep the axles from locking up.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 D5 185 R-Design, winter, summer, comms and family packs
142 Posts
Both MANN and MAHLE make OE filters for Volvo (and BMW, Mercedes and others). Which you get depends on the model you have and the world market you're in. I'd be happy with any of them myself.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I don't know if it's everywhere, but Costco is offering various flavors of Mobil 1 at $10 off per case of 6, in my area. Either in store or delivered free. Out of curiosity, I went through the negative reviews to see what was up with them, and they were all about shortages in the cases, and one leaker. Better to go to the store, I think.
Limit 5. I'm all over that for my XC90.
Thinking about the Euro FS (full synthetic) 0w-40. Specs, per Mobil site:

This product meets or exceeds the requirements of:

API SM

API SN

API SJ

API SL

ACEA A3/B3

ACEA A3/B4

AAE (STO 003) Group B7

Had a look at my owner's manual, and the ACEA grade definitions, so it looks good. I'm glad to not have to do more research and make a decision about ACEA A5/B5. The minimum for my XC90 is A1/Bi, but that's spec has been dropped by ACEA.

The bummer is that the S60 wants A5/B5, although they have that, too. Just hate stocking different oils.
Anyone know if the 3.2 engine is intolerant of the lower HTHS Viscosity of the A5/B5?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Getting ready to do my summer oil change. Needed to find Chi’s specs and recommendations ... so ... free thread bump for all.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Thanks! I would still like to see something definitive about A5/B5 for older engines.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,361 Posts
Thanks! I would still like to see something definitive about A5/B5 for older engines.
If the engine originally called for 0W/5W-20 oils, then A5/B5 can be used.

Generally speaking, A5/B5 are thinner oils and an additional spec to the A1/B1 which puts some more focus on fuel economy. These oils run along 0W/5W-20 and 0W/5W-30 oils. For older engines that may have been using 5W-30 or 10W-30 oils, and have mileage wear, I would still go with the 0W-40 Mobil 1.

If you are talking about much older engines and are in a hot climate, a thicker 0W-40 (like Castrol) might be better suited. I have friends in Texas that have switched all their cars that used to take 5W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50, to one of the 0W-40 oils. Their cars run from 90s BMW V12s BMW V8s, 80s Chevys, different SUVs, and even a Mercedes CL55 supercharged (which runs hot). I use a thicker 0W-40 LiquiMoly in my BMW 535i turbo since those engines likes to run hotter.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
If the engine originally called for 0W/5W-20 oils, then A5/B5 can be used.

Generally speaking, A5/B5 are thinner oils and an additional spec to the A1/B1 which puts some more focus on fuel economy. These oils run along 0W/5W-20 and 0W/5W-30 oils. For older engines that may have been using 5W-30 or 10W-30 oils, and have mileage wear, I would still go with the 0W-40 Mobil 1.

If you are talking about much older engines and are in a hot climate, a thicker 0W-40 (like Castrol) might be better suited. I have friends in Texas that have switched all their cars that used to take 5W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50, to one of the 0W-40 oils. Their cars run from 90s BMW V12s BMW V8s, 80s Chevys, different SUVs, and even a Mercedes CL55 supercharged (which runs hot). I use a thicker 0W-40 LiquiMoly in my BMW 535i turbo since those engines likes to run hotter.
Thanks: I am interested in my '09 3.2 that calls for A1/B1. That has been replaced by A3/B3, but what concerns me is this from https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php:
" The A/B class's A5/B5 oils have lower HTHS viscosities, which means that they provide better fuel economy but they may not provide adequate protection in engines that are not designed for them. ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 on the other hand require oils with higher HTHS viscosities that may not provide as good fuel economy as an A5/B5 oil but may offer better engine protection in certain engine designs. "

I would like, ideally, the head oil and engine dude at Volvo to bless the A5/B5. I'm actually running it, due to not having informed myself sufficiently, and so far-so-good, and the fuel economy is better, and the stuff isn't running past the rings, either. I worry too much, I've been told. Usually by people that don't worry nearly enough ;)

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,361 Posts

Thanks: I am interested in my '09 3.2 that calls for A1/B1. That has been replaced by A3/B3, but what concerns me is this from https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php:
" The A/B class's A5/B5 oils have lower HTHS viscosities, which means that they provide better fuel economy but they may not provide adequate protection in engines that are not designed for them. ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 on the other hand require oils with higher HTHS viscosities that may not provide as good fuel economy as an A5/B5 oil but may offer better engine protection in certain engine designs. "

I would like, ideally, the head oil and engine dude at Volvo to bless the A5/B5. I'm actually running it, due to not having informed myself sufficiently, and so far-so-good, and the fuel economy is better, and the stuff isn't running past the rings, either. I worry too much, I've been told. Usually by people that don't worry nearly enough ;)
So you already knew the answer :) Good job in your research.

I don't know, San Diego can put constant engine load when going up those hills. That's where I would change to an A3/B3 (typically 0W/5W-40), even though the economy of a thinner oil is tempting.

Personally, for all XC90 engine variants, I would use 0W-40 for the higher HTHS (shear) rating, good below freezing & hot viscosity, and 0W-40 oils start with a better base oil in order to get the wider viscosity rating.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Yeah. I'm going to the Mobil 1 0w-40 A3/B3 next change. Might even make it soon. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with an oil that claims a 0w viscosity. Makes me think of distilled water. That's emotion, though, not science. I bought a couple of changes when it was on sale, since I had no confidence that the Volvo dude was going to step out and say the A5/B5 was OK.
You're right about the hills around here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just my 2 cents since been around internal combustion engines just about all my life in mine im sticking with PPU 5W-30 and im in GTA
I know lots of guys will say only use synthetic but no one or my experience has showing me any or enough to warrant the cost difference.
Extended oil change times? nope synthetic may protect bit longer but holds same amount of dirt same time frame. i suppose with our 3.2 you could actually change filter in middle i suppose i just stick with 6 months or 7000 km on dino works for me.
and engines all work same way so i think it will be fine. JMLO

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,361 Posts
Just my 2 cents since been around internal combustion engines just about all my life in mine im sticking with PPU 5W-30 and im in GTA
I know lots of guys will say only use synthetic but no one or my experience has showing me any or enough to warrant the cost difference.
Extended oil change times? nope synthetic may protect bit longer but holds same amount of dirt same time frame. i suppose with our 3.2 you could actually change filter in middle i suppose i just stick with 6 months or 7000 km on dino works for me.
and engines all work same way so i think it will be fine. JMLO
That's an honest comment.

I recommend synthetic because it isn't about the extended service interval. Synthetic oils will be more consistent within the same interval, say 5k miles. Both conventional and synthetic oils will start to lose their viscosity ratings, meaning they will get thicker in the cold rating and thinner in the hot rating. This degradation occurs faster with conventional. Synthetic also has other benefits in its additives which can manage contaminates to better protect an engine from wear. Taking apart different engines (some fully disassembled and some just the valve covers & oil pans) using either conventional or synthetic in their lives, the engines that use synthetic have a lot less varnish, less carbon (like in oil galleys and cam trays), and less wear on bearings.

Penzoil Platinum Ultra (PPU) is good oil. If you like Pennzoil, I would still suggest trying the Platinum Euro (non-L version) since they are A3/B3 (both Platinum Euro 5W-30 and 0W-40).

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,361 Posts
Here is a good new video explaining the benefits of synthetic over conventional engine oils. It also explains some of the additives used.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
754 Posts
Here is a good new video explaining the benefits of synthetic over conventional engine oils. It also explains some of the additives used.

I just wanted to pitch in, I used Castrol 5W-30 Semi-Synthetic on my last oil change on my XC90, which was done at 68k miles, the previous one was done at around 60k miles. It's currently at 69k miles. I live in the PNW, so climate is moderate, mostly cold and rainy.

I read in the manual that Volvo dealer by default puts semi-synthetic "unless the customer requests otherwise", and the last oil change that the indy mechanic did (the one at 60k miles mentioned above) was done with full synthetic. So... is it okay for me to have semi-synthetic in the V8 XC90 after it was given full synthetic for the past 8000 miles? It's a city driving car only, and comes out probably once or twice a week - garage queen :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,361 Posts
I just wanted to pitch in, I used Castrol 5W-30 Semi-Synthetic on my last oil change on my XC90, which was done at 68k miles, the previous one was done at around 60k miles. It's currently at 69k miles. I live in the PNW, so climate is moderate, mostly cold and rainy.

I read in the manual that Volvo dealer by default puts semi-synthetic "unless the customer requests otherwise", and the last oil change that the indy mechanic did (the one at 60k miles mentioned above) was done with full synthetic. So... is it okay for me to have semi-synthetic in the V8 XC90 after it was given full synthetic for the past 8000 miles? It's a city driving car only, and comes out probably once or twice a week - garage queen :rolleyes:
Yes, the oils are compatible and do not repel each other like oil/water. I like to recommend full synthetic Mobil 1 0W-40 if you read this thread from the beginning and I still use shorter intervals than 7500. I am closer to 5500 however, I drive a good amount of city, spending time in Chicago and east coast cities (DC, Philly, NY, Boston), as well as drive my XC90 hard.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes, the oils are compatible and do not repel each other like oil/water. I like to recommend full synthetic Mobil 1 0W-40 if you read this thread from the beginning and I still use shorter intervals than 7500. I am closer to 5500 however, I drive a good amount of city, spending time in Chicago and east coast cities (DC, Philly, NY, Boston), as well as drive my XC90 hard.
Yep, I'll probably be doing 5000-6000 mile intervals on the oil - like you, I like to drive the XC90 hard, only difference is, I've got 2 more cylinders on you... :LOL: just kidding

Makes me less worried, thanks.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,361 Posts
Yep, I'll probably be doing 5000-6000 mile intervals on the oil - like you, I like to drive the XC90 hard, only difference is, I've got 2 more cylinders on you... :LOL: just kidding

Makes me less worried, thanks.
Just an FYI, the V8 has less oil capacity than the 3.2, so that 5-6k oil interval is a good one. The video I linked in post #74 is a great reason why to switch to full synthetic from your semi-synthetic, even for the V8.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just an FYI, the V8 has less oil capacity than the 3.2, so that 5-6k oil interval is a good one. The video I linked in post #74 is a great reason why to switch to full synthetic from your semi-synthetic, even for the V8.
Yeah, I just don't know if it's worth it for me to do another oil change just now, less than 100-150 miles from the last one, which is when I put in the semi-synthetic. That was a big mistake on my part.

Do you think it's worth it? I'm not sure...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I just don't know if it's worth it for me to do another oil change just now, less than 100-150 miles from the last one, which is when I put in the semi-synthetic. That was a big mistake on my part.

Do you think it's worth it? I'm not sure...
Personally I don't think it's worth it. If you're worried, just shorten the interval and maybe do the next oil change at 4k or so.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts