SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2000 V70XC has been using oil. I put some dye in it, found no leaks anywhere but there is oil in the intercooler hose. I can smell the oil at stop lights or when I'm getting gas.

What's the most cost-effective resolution (aside from just adding oil to the crankcase)? Is there a cartridge rebuild kit available for these units? A good source of rebuilts? I'm not interested in adding performance (honestly wish I didn't have a turbo at all).

TIA

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Oil in the intercooler hose is normal, but not in the amount you're describing. Just be careful with eBay turbocharger rebuild kits, because some of those "brands" seem kind of sketchy.

·
Registered
17,476 Posts
You can have a turbo rebuilt for ~300. new core genuine mitsubishi for ~400. junkyard score or used one for 50-150. shaft play axially and radially is whats important. cold, a tdo4hl turbo will have some play even if brand new because its a journal bearing (floating oil film) setup. IIRC 18 thousandths was max acceptable total axial and radial was 2 thousandths (of an inch).

I can also recommend G pop shop. if you go rebuilt, pack it well. really well. like way way way overprotected. I packed mine really really well and it got broken but they cut me a deal on a genuine mitsubishi cartridge and put parts from the broken one on it. IIRC youre in eastern CT; i still have gpopshops turbo shipping box from doing my turbo and youre more than welcome to have it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, i'm going to have have to take the hose off the bottom of the intercooler just to be certain that the turbo is the issue - I only opened it up at the top of the pipe/hose joint near the radiator and found some oil drop there, but I guess that's normal. I'm not seeing any puffs of blue smoke and aside from the smell I added about 2 1/2 quarts in maybe 3,000 miles. Again, it's not leaking anywhere and the PCV system is okay (it sucked down a nitrile glove placed over the oil fill).

Assuming it is the turbo, gpopshop offers a full rebuild kit for $89 for the TD04HL-13T, which I gather is the stock turbo for a 2000?

ps - I'm in Deep River, close enough lol

·
Registered
17,476 Posts
13T is stock. Rebuild kit is a diy fix, still need to balance the turbo afterwards, figure 60 plus shipping round trip. You are more likely to find oil in the top after it goes through the inter cooler because it will condense out there. That was my case. Dry on hot side, swimming in oil on cold side. Turbo is your likely source of oil with that kind of consumption. Have someone drive behind you and look for faint blue smoke when you punch it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I just separate the band clamp and remove the cartridge that way? Or do I have to take off the entire unit?

·
Registered
17,476 Posts
You can pull the cartridge by removing the v band clamp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts