SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm planning to do an oil change, my car has 160.000 KM, thats almost 100.000 miles and i really don't know wich oil to use.
My engine has absolutely no problem at all. Castrol TXT has been used in my engine ( I found the label in the negine compartment).

Castrol TXT is no longer in production, now Volvo recommends "Castrol SLX Professional Longtec for Volvo Cars" wich is an 0W-30 but there is a problem : some friends say 0W-30 or 5W-30 is not very adequate in my country cause of the temperatures wich summer can exceed 40 degrees celsius and in winter -15 degrees celsius. They recommend an 5W-40 oil, or 10W-40.

So wich oil should I buy ?

Also what do you know about Petro-Canada oils ? Are they good ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Re: Oil for my 2004.5 S40 T5 6spd manual (RobertoT5)

I didn't know that 2004.5 came out in 6 speed manuals. I thought it was 5 speed manuals for 2004.5 and 6 speed manuals for 2005+. Maybe this is only a USA thing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess that was only in US, I'm in Europe, I have 6spd manual, aluminium trim, dynamic chassis, and all that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: (RobertoT5)

from the manual

Oil viscosity (stable ambient temperatures)
Operation in hot climates
When temperatures exceed 86° F (30° C) in your area, Volvo recommends, for the protection of your engine, that you use a heavier weight oil, such as SAE 10W-30. See the viscosity chart.

Operation in temperate climates
Incorrect viscosity oil can shorten engine life. Under normal use when temperatures do not exceed 86° F (30° C), SAE 5W-30 will provide good fuel economy and engine protection. See the viscosity chart.

My 2005 T5 sees Chicago winters and summers -10*F-100*F and have been using Mobil 1 SAE 5W-30 year round.

Hope this helps.
Todd

Modified by Bigblk4 at 2:38 PM 6-2-2009

·
Registered
8,385 Posts

USE the Volvo Oil which Is Mobile , I have tried the Recommended MTL
from Amsoil & talked to other that have Tried the Red-Line - Both have their Plus's - Amsoil is Great for Cooler Climates , Red-Line is Great for the Track it has a Stronger or Higher Load Rating for High HP & Abuse .

I got Slightly Better MPG with the Amsoil , but in Summer Months It felt to Light , I could Actually Feel the Syncro's - so went back to - Volvo Spec' MTL .

ps: Feel Synco's ( Engaging ) Not Grinding - ( a Meshing Feel - Metallic . )

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: (EngTech)

I use Castrol Full synthetic and it feels so good !!!!!!!!!!!!! I would say even better the Mobile 1 and i used that in all my cars till i found this.. Not only does my engine feel happy but i get better gas millage and it does not even get that dirty when i go for my oil change after 4k miles ....

I would like to mention the first 2 times using it after mobile 1 the oil was black and only after 3k chnges once catrol cleaned the mobile one's traces its nice and clean every change and i use 10 - 30

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Re: (jdsr917)

Yes Castrol is Really Good Stuff , just put some in today , as far as My Comments about 6 speed Oil they are Spot On.

- Just In the Wrong Spot - Ha , LOL

Everyone Knows My 6 spd takes Different Oil from the Auto , LOL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amsoil is not available in my country, I mean I may get some homehow but I also need the assurance that I will find the same oil when time to change, I don't want to change the oil type every 20.000 Km.

Redline is also very rare here, same thing as Amsoil applies.

Castrol is indeed the only one recommended by my car's manual, and I think its the only one Volvo recommends in Eastern Europe, but I heard horror stories about counterfeit oil, oil that is manufactured in countries known for bad quality, some Castrol is made in Turkey, etc.
So I bought Petro-Canada from a friend wich is also a Volvo owner, our country's volvo-club administrator, and has a shop with parts for Volvos. This oil is imported here directly from Canada, and believe it or not, its 50% cheaper than Castrol For Volvo Cars.

My package arrives monday, after I'll make the change I'll post the results.

Thank you everyone,
Roberto

·
Registered
8,385 Posts

Volvo Dealer Ship were all using Castrol Mineral Oil - Now they are Using the Blend !

At Least in Rochester, NY http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Same Cost

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Obviously, you've already changed your oil, but a lot of people in Europe use 5W-40 semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil. It handles the cold and the very hot temperatures well.

Volvo recommends Castrol in the manual but I think that's just b/c they have some connection there/marketing deal. Different dealerships stock different brand oil based on what they can get cost effectively.

I always ran full synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer on my 6 spd S40 when I owned it and changed the oil every 7500 miles.
On the XC wagon I have here in Sweden, I use a 5W-40 semi-synth oil and change it every 10K kms.

Oh and as for the Manual Transmission Oil goes, I would stick with the Volvo stuff. The M66 gear oil is a thinner formula than the M56/M58 gear oil when compared, though it is reverse compatible for the older ones as well. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.