SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used a strap wrench for the first oil change since getting the car and don't want to do that again. The filter was on too tight and it was a struggle with the strap to loosen it. Looking for a cap wrench. Should you avoid any that are said to fit BMW as well? BMW is a tiny bit larger so it may get stuck on the filter housing because it fits too loose. Is the $25 Volvo wrench as good anything else?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Try stuffing some paper towels in your BMW filter cup. I had a cup that was about 1mm bigger than the filter. The paper towel took up the slack.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is a BMW wrench that much cheaper or free? The strap wrench or giant channel locks won't really work for whiteblocks. Probably not a terrible idea to just pony up and buy giant filter socket. Remember, if you're changing your own oil, you're gonna need it pretty often... There are a lotta special tools you can buy that you won't use super often, but you know exactly how often you'll need the oil filter socket.....

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Bought one that fits the filter housing perfectly and attaches to a 3/8" ratchet years back from IPD I believe...works like a charm. Strap wrenches on these are a PITA.

·
Registered
17,419 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Canister cap ‘socket’ type is the best one to use. Got mine at amazon or fcp and don’t remember it being 25...
You do NOT want to crush the canister!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid 5.99 for mine, works great, feels sturdy. You could change your oil in the afternoon and knock a home intruder out with it the same night. It's a great dual purpose tool! Should last forever...

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have the cheap, stamped steel, fitted cap type of filter wrench for two cars. They work okay, but the thin steel allows them to flex a little. They do get the job done, though.

I have a Hazet filter wrench for another car, that thing is nice- cast aluminum, much more solid, zero flex. Also 3x the price. Made in Germany vs. China, big difference in quality. But how often do you change your oil? It's questionable value to buy something like the Hazet unless you're doing this for a living.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
The oil fill adapter is definitely worth it!
Absolutely! Especially with the baffle in the Volvo head that forces you to pour the oil super slow. With that funnel I can pour in like two full quarts at a time.

·
Registered
13,991 Posts
I would spend a little more and get a decent one. You're already saving a fair amount of change doing the oil change yourself so it's better to have a more robust tool. The thin metal ones are a little bendy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts