SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys-

My dad had $30 in rewards from Summit racing which were about the expire so he asked if I could use them. I ended up ordering some K&N oil filters since I can always use those. When I received them, they have 2 rubber gaskets - one is obviously for the top of the housing cap, but does anyone know why they included the other? The odd gasket is the one on the right in the pic. Would love to know if any of you have used these filters and what did you do with the second gasket?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? This filter fits some VWs?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
How much are they online and do these K&N filters have a oil coating like the intakes filters do? I'm pretty surprised to learn about the intake having it.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Lol its an oil filter the whole thing is oil coated. In the oil filter comparisons that I've read, oem is superior to all the other aftermarket brands.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the oil filter comparisons that I've read, oem is superior to all the other aftermarket brands.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
Agreed - Mann is OEM, which I usually use but Summit Racing didn't carry them and they were basically free with my dad's rewards money, so I had to do it!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I am not sure how accurate this old of information is - and it may be way off. I used purolator after doing some research back when I had my diesel, and I haven't really found anything other than Fleetguard that beats their filters, the Purone or Premium models provide much finer filtration at a slightly less efficiency rating.

Here's something related to MANN filters for older Volvos, I can't really find the specs for the newer filters:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2991926

And here's for the purolator premium for ours: it's the L35234.

If the information on the charts are accurate, the Mann filters have an extra 4 or 5 pleats, the Mann has 37 microns @ 99% Efficiency and 13 microns @ 50% efficiency, whereas the Purolator has 97.5% efficiency at 20 microns. Granted, it's just what gives you peace of mind, but here's something to throw in the ring that will mess you up even more - there's a study out there for engine mounted oil filters, and the majority of them dropped to between 50-75% efficiency due to the vibration from the engine knocking everything loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts