SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the oil on my 2012 S60 T5 myself, and noticed that before I unscrewed the oil cap, it looked like brand new, and after I put it back on it had marks/scratches from the wrench I used.

I'm curious - can the filter be replaced about 10 times so far and not have a single scratch on the cap?

I'd appreciate it if anyone posts pictures of their oil cap.

Thanks,

n

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I think there is a special tool to remove the oil filter cap. If you didnt use it, that may explain the scratches.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Do you mean the cap on top of the engine? That is hand tightened and removed.

Or the cap underneath that goes over the filter cartridge? The tool I use for that
is plastic and does not leave any marks (on the one on our XC90). I hand tighten
it to put it back on then only very lightly tighten with the tool.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I think there is a special tool to remove the oil filter cap. If you didnt use it, that may explain the scratches.
That is correct. They sell this tool at ipd.
What did you use to unscrew the oil filter cap?
Can you post pictures?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm referring to the oil filter cartridge that is accessed from the top of the engine, not underneath.

I've used a 36mm standard socket wrench. I don't think you can hand tight it.

I'll post pictures later.

n

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'm referring to the oil filter cartridge that is accessed from the top of the engine, not underneath.

I've used a 36mm standard socket wrench. I don't think you can hand tight it.

I'll post pictures later.

n
The socket probably did it. Honestly I wouldnt worry about it, no one can see it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The socket probably did it. Honestly I wouldnt worry about it, no one can see it.
My worry was, as paranoid as it sounds, that the dealer never changed the oil filter if there was no wrench marks on the cap.

n

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
My worry was, as paranoid as it sounds, that the dealer never changed the oil filter if there was no wrench marks on the cap.

n
Nothing is paranoid when it comes to a dealer, that said, you would know if it wasnt changed the minute you pulled the old filter out. If it were in there that long it would be all bent and crooked. It should look like the new one, just covered in oil.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
My oil filter cap still looks pretty new; I've (and I assume the dealer) changed the oil & filter multiple times. I do have the exact socket for removal.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I said I'd post pictures, but I didn't take any before I bruised it.

The filter from the oil change I did, didn't look bent or crooked so I assume it's been changed before. And also, I believe that the bruises did come from my socket, so I'm good.

Thanks!

n

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Its hard to get a good picture, but here you go. 63k miles and 8 oil changes, 5 at the dealer, 3 at my inde shop.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks PureDrive07. Mine actually looked newer and no bruises whatsoever at ~50K mi, plus around the filter looked cleaner too, but I'm sure that the filter I found in wasn't the original. I've heard stories before where the service shot "forgot" to replace the filter, but either way, from now on I'm going all oil changes myself.

n

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.