SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 98 V70R. 158K miles. Prior owner had timing belt break so it has a reworked head and gasket, new timing belt, water pump, etc.

Drove the car home 3 hours - noticed an oily film on the back of the car. Looked on forum and suspected PCV system so ordered the kit from IPD and just got it back together last night. The trap certainly had some crud build up and the hoses were not in the best shape.

Drove the car today and I'm still getting an oily film on the back. The car is not burning oil - I've driven behind it and there is no smoke - no smoke on a dead-cold start either.

What is the next thing I should be looking at? Turbo?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
My guess would be either the turbo return line is leaking badly - don't just check the seals, check if the actual hard pipe has somehow gotten nicked which would cause a lot of oil to leak out of it and run along the exhaust; or rear cam seal has blown out. The latter should be easy to see but that would also cause a massive amount of oil to run down and back toward the tailgate. The next time you are under the car see if the exhaust pipe is oily (don't burn yourself).

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
well if your pcv was actually bad, you will have some oil on some parts of the engine, it will stay there until you burn it all. There is also some things that you can check. Remove your turbo charge pipe and see if the turbo has too much on the outlet and also the pipe. Did you check your oil stick with warm engine if you still see any vapor going out?. When they did the head, did the valve steam seals replaced?.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I tried to clean off most of the residual oil and new it would be burning off but I still have an active leak somewhere. It's leaving drips on the driveway so I'm going to have to clean it off real good and see where it's coming from. I'm hoping it's a rear cam seal vs. a rear main. Anyone done a rear main before? Just wondering how bad they are on a Volvo. I've done plenty - just never a Volvo. Easiest to take the eng/trans out together or just drop the transmission to change it? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I suggest dropping the trans alone, you don't even have to drain the coolant if you do it that way. I have a trans swap thread linked in my signature if you want some pics. Obviously it wouldn't be as involved as converting from auto to manual, but the rear main seal is the same. You'll have a little extra complication due to the AWD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - cool. Nice pics. Appreciate that. I have a lift and trans jack so look like I should be able to get it out by itself. Appreciate the input. Now praying that it's a cam seal instead!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts