SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to this forum & I love Volvo.
I recently change my crankshaft seals & PCV system which was a bit clogged,on my 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T (B5224T3)

After driving the car for a day I noticed that pressure was building in coolant system and the moment I would switch off the engine it would spill out more than a litre of coolant. I change the coolant and drove the car most of the day next day and every time I would check on it, seemed okay.
When I parked the car in the evening it seemed okay, only to notice the next morning, oil in the coolant tank.

I latter on drained the engine oil and it had not mixed with coolant at all. What could be the issue here. I also noticed that a bit of oil had spilled from the PCV and the turbo pipes were quite oily, the same with first 2 chambers in the manifold.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If there isn't coolant in the oil, but there is oil in the coolant. It could be that the trans fluid cooler/radiator matrix are leaking internally and mixing. This would also explain the excessive pressure on the cooling system as it is escaping into the trans cooler. How is the trans fluid looking?

Boilover in any case is excessive pressure within the system, you have a leak somewhere in the cooling system. You could disconnect the trans cooler lines, drain the fluid, and then pressure test the cooling system at the expansion tank cap and listen for leaks, if they're coming from the radiator near the trans cooler then that is the culprit.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
No personal experience with this but others that have had this problem found it to be an internal leak in the oil cooler. Replacing the oil cooler and flushing the coolant should be the fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts