SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
The leak is probably the front engine crank engine seal. This is a pic of a leaking crank seal. The seal is in the center of the round plastic. You replace the complete plastic part. The timing belt assembly and plastic surrounds need to be removed to be able to remove the round plastic part. The shim gets replace every time that the crank pulley is removed. Install a new timing belt kit with this repair. You need a special tool to lock the cams in place when removing the T-belt 9997497.

View attachment 180299

View attachment 180301
View attachment 180302
View attachment 180303
View attachment 180304
View attachment 180305
View attachment 180306
How often do you see the replacements leak?

· Registered
160 Posts
I have never seen a replacement leak. It is not that uncommon to have the 2016-2017 possibly some 2018's crank seal leak. This is a guess, looking at the above pic, the seal has shiny rub marks on it. I think that the factory seal installing process did not get the seal in straight. Over time the crank tooth gear end was contacting the seal. The seal leaked from being installed not square in the plastic housing. The contact may have helped it to leak. Every leaking crank seal that I repaired was worn in the same area. Some were covered during the 4/50 and CPO, others were past the 4/50 and customer pay.
I see the marks. Good to know. I have to get this done, but it hasn't gotten bad yet. Hopefully OP can get this covered under his CPO warranty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts