SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was short on time and had a local shop change oil (I took in my own filter, crush washer and oil.) Anyway they called me out when it was in the air. It appears to be leaking oil from the pan gasket on the accessory side of the motor (no big deal) but had a different leak from somewhere inside the front bumper.

Is there a remote mount oil cooler on these?

Possibly transmission (I have the auto) cooler?

did a quick search for oil cooler and found nothing.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If you have a leak up by the bumper that could be your power steering fluid cooler, it has a small trombone cooler up there. The flexible hoses that feet it could be the culprit.

If you have a leak on the pan near the accessory side, it could be as simple as the oil filter o-ring seeping oil, or it could be seepage from where the engine is bolted together or a seal leak. Need to find out for sure since a seal leak will eventually do in your timing belt which is the kind of problem you certainly don't want.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I believe the auto R's have an automatic transmission fluid cooler built into the radiator, such that the radiator cools both fluids. The R's do have an oil heater / cooler on the back of the oil pan, where oil and coolant flow through a small block bolted onto the back of the pan. It's a small little heat exchanger, designed to get the oil up to operating temperature rapidly and then later transfer excess heat from the oil into the coolant to be dissipated by the radiator.

-Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have a leak up by the bumper that could be your power steering fluid cooler, it has a small trombone cooler up there. The flexible hoses that feet it could be the culprit.

If you have a leak on the pan near the accessory side, it could be as simple as the oil filter o-ring seeping oil, or it could be seepage from where the engine is bolted together or a seal leak. Need to find out for sure since a seal leak will eventually do in your timing belt which is the kind of problem you certainly don't want.
That makes a lot of sense. I have had to add power steering fluid several times over the past year (30K miles more or less.)

Of course it also needs a qt or oil every 4K miles or so.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
A quart of oil every 4K miles is typical consumption for the motor. PS fluid should rarely ever need to be topped off, so if you have been adding frequently it certainly sounds like the rubber lines for the PS cooler are your issue then.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My power steering cooler was leaking slightly. When I had the bumper off I noticed the clamp was loose and pushed back a bit. All fixed now.

Ps- our caRs do not have a oil pan gasket. It is sealed with an anaerobic sealant.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
120 Posts
I too had a loose clamp at the power steering cooler. I also noticed it while I had the front bumper off.

Easy fix once the bumper is off, not sure you could reach it otherwise.

2004 v70r, manual trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts