SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I do?

2012 S60 with 50kmi. Here's the service specs

Purchased with 37kmi. With fresh oil...never checked it till next change.
1st oil hange 40kmi switch to sythectic (DIY) ....used one quart till
Next was done at 45kmi with synthetic....starting using a quart every 1k.
At 48.5k schedule service light on so I took it on and no oil on dipstick. They switched it back to conventional oil and now at 50k I am one quart down again.

Using 5w-30 (Florida car) synthetic and goes thru a quart in 1000kmi. Dealer switched me back to conventional oil and now burning one quart every 1500 mi. Is this adnormal for Volvo turbos? Our Toyota with 175kmi has never burned any oil.

I got the 5cyl as it was tried and true and now this major issue for me. I was was going to run this car till around 90-100k and gift it to my daughter going to away school.

Extemely disappointed with Volvo at this point...totally sucks.

Anyone else having these issues with this engine?

What should I do next?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a serious consumption issue with my T6. Long story short - dealer did a consumption test to confirm oil loss and Volvo approved necessary repairs, which amounted to replacing all six pistons and associated parts. One quart per 1000-1500 miles is NOT normal no matter what anyone says! Get the car back to the dealer and insist that they do a consumption test. You need to get this documented. My dealer and Volvo handled the problem perfectly - no push back whatsoever. I've put 20,000 miles on car since repairs were done and the car isn't burning even a thimble full of oil between changes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.. I will call them this week and send it in and demand a consumption test. At the last service they did not note my consumption concern on the paper work. I will make sure this time. I always use synthetic oil in my cars so I was disappointed to switch back to Dino oil. I usally go for 5k oil chargés with synthetic.

Question... When they replace the pistons and rings does the engine get removed? Or can they change them from the bottoms of the motor on a lift?

Should I call the VCNA also? Or just see what dealer does this time around?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have no idea what the process entails. What is required for a T6 may be totally different than the T5. They had the car for a week or so and gave me a loaner. Why would they think switching back to conventional oil would make any difference? That makes no sense. Just make sure you tell them that you have been adding a quart every 1000-1500 miles and make sure they note it on your paper work. When they perform the consumption test (as I understand the process) they send the results to VCNA and wait for further guidance. There is a process they have to follow.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a serious consumption issue with my T6. Long story short - dealer did a consumption test to confirm oil loss and Volvo approved necessary repairs, which amounted to replacing all six pistons and associated parts. One quart per 1000-1500 miles is NOT normal no matter what anyone says! Get the car back to the dealer and insist that they do a consumption test. You need to get this documented. My dealer and Volvo handled the problem perfectly - no push back whatsoever. I've put 20,000 miles on car since repairs were done and the car isn't burning even a thimble full of oil between changes.
Wow, 2011 T6's too? What was your mileage when you first noticed excessive oil consumption?

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Failures at 40,000 miles appear to be a common denominator.
My warning light first started showing up around 45,000 miles. Consumer reports seems adamant that any oil loss below 100,000 miles on a modern engine is completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
By the way, my warning light never went on despite being down 2 quarts. I just happen to be one of those guys that is conditioned to check my oil regularly.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I got the 5cyl as it was tried and true and now this major issue for me. I was was going to run this car till around 90-100k and gift it to my daughter going to away school.

Extemely disappointed with Volvo at this point...totally sucks.

Anyone else having these issues with this engine?

What should I do next?
Me too. One of the reasons I decided on the Volvo was the "tried and true" T5 that was not direct injected. I guess you never know. Maybe it's best to just lease from now on. Are you still under warranty? Some 2012's had the 5 year 60k mile S&S like mine. If it is Volvo will take care of the problem. There was also a report here of someone getting the ring job even out of warranty. Volvo is really stepping up to the plate on this issue.

BTW, they don't remove the motor. They can do this job from the top and bottom of the engine.

My warning light first started showing up around 45,000 miles. Consumer reports seems adamant that any oil loss below 100,000 miles on a modern engine is completely unacceptable.
That's an unreasonable statement from CR. Every engine will use a bit of oil, that's why there's a dip stick in the first place.

By the way, my warning light never went on despite being down 2 quarts. I just happen to be one of those guys that is conditioned to check my oil regularly.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but from my research the T5 5 cylinder motor does not have a low oil level warning light. It only has a low oil pressure light. If that light illuminates you're sucking up air from the oil pan and most likely damaging your engine.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Guys,

I've been reading threads left and right about oil consumption. I am at the point where I am strongly considering getting rid of my 2012 S60 T5 after numerous suspension problems and expired warranty. (See the other thread).

My question though, and I ask cause I've seen here different opinions - what should be considered as abnormal oil consumption on a 2012 S60 T5 with just over 50K miles?

n

·
Registered
47 Posts
It was a 2011 XC60 T6. I recently traded it in for something else....mainly due to concerns about the oil loss issue. Better now while it was still worth something I figured.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Guys,

I've been reading threads left and right about oil consumption. I am at the point where I am strongly considering getting rid of my 2012 S60 T5 after numerous suspension problems and expired warranty. (See the other thread).

My question though, and I ask cause I've seen here different opinions - what should be considered as abnormal oil consumption on a 2012 S60 T5 with just over 50K miles?

n
Did you end up getting rid of it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Guys,

n
Looks like you didn't. You just got hit with this issue it seems. Yikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts