SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my amazing 07' SR M66 almost two months ago. I flew to Sacramento to get it. As I was driving it home from Sacramento to SLC the low oil message came on, so I pulled over to the next O'Reilly Auto and purchased two quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic 5w 30 as I was instructed by the PO that's what was in it already. Turns out it was a quart low. I filled it up and went on my way. About 2,000 miles later, the message came back on and I checked and it was a quart low again! I know for a fact there are no leaks what-so-ever as I was literally underneath it the day before while it was on a lift at the dealership. The turbo is in great shape and there is NO smoke what-so-ever coming from the tail pipe. It runs fantastically and only has 115,000 Miles on it..

Has anyone else had an issue of their car consuming oil quite rapidly?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had the same thing happen to me . i found out i needed to replace the pcv.
Interesting, According to the detailed records that I received with the car the PVC crankcase Breather Box and all applicable hoses were replaces less than 10,000 Miles ago in January this year..

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the other question i have is how hard do you drive it .
Not hard at all.. ive literally been driving like a grandma most of the time. Every once in a while I get on it, but quite rarely..

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yeah check the PCV. Put a vinyl or neoprene glove over the oil fill hole while idling and see if it inflates. If it does, you need a PCV overhaul. A clogged PCV will cause increased oil consumption.

If that doesn't seem to be the issue, you can try another oil. Some oils just seem to burn faster than others. Some have even used Rotella (a diesel oil). You will always have some oil consumption with an R. About a quart every 4500 miles is normal for mine, though I do a lot of city driving.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah check the PCV. Put a vinyl or neoprene glove over the oil fill hole while idling and see if it inflates. If it does, you need a PCV overhaul. A clogged PCV will cause increased oil consumption.

If that doesn't seem to be the issue, you can try another oil. Some oils just seem to burn faster than others. Some have even used Rotella (a diesel oil). You will always have some oil consumption with an R. About a quart every 4500 miles is normal for mine, though I do a lot of city driving.
The PCV shouldn't go bad after 10K though right? Where on the engine is the PCV located? Is it pretty easy to access?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
try this oil http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...mula-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AELQT-EA it has a higher Flash Point them mobil 1. i was going to say with any turbo car you will have oil consumption.
Interesting.. Ill look into that. I guess its true that turbos may have some oil consumption, but a quart in 2K miles seems a bit much.. My 850 T-5 barely had any oil consumption, and it even had a leak. It probably went through a quart between each oil change, and that's with the leak..

·
Registered
853 Posts
If the PCV was done properly and not short cutted,like doing a thorough cleaning of the drain back port and a good cleaning of the PTC nipple,It is possible to have an issue with it.It really depends on the quality of the service when it was performed.It is easy to shortcut a few things and still get paid regardless.That is why I do all the service work on my car myself.I don't trust anybody with my car,and that includes dealer techs.There is no way to really know what kind of job was done to it unless you investigate this yourself.But I have an easy suggestion.Why not drop a few oz.of engine oil from the crankcase and have it anaylized?Blackstone labs does it for $28and it gives you pertinent information about the condition of your engine.When you send in the sample,there is a place on the form where you can describe any issues and questions.I have found them to be a valuable source.contact them on the web and they will send you sample bottles for free.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
A quart every 2-3k miles is normal. At 115k it's a little strange but not unheard of. Moms XC70 does 1qt per 2.5k and the R does 1qt per 5k depending how much I romp on it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The PCV shouldn't go bad after 10K though right? Where on the engine is the PCV located? Is it pretty easy to access?
Like said above, there are many shortcuts when servicing the PCV. It is underneath the intake manifold, so not very easy to access. Try the glove test and see what the results are.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Never assume anything in diagnostics. I changed the PVC system in a T5 and a month later a backfire on start up cracked the plastic box. Do over. Not that time but plenty of times I've screwed up repairing cars and get it right second time around. Of course dealers will treat that scenario as a new problem. Anytime I take a car in for anything I go over it as techs or body guys will leave covers off, use half the fasteners, leave half the hoses off, not do anything at all and charge for it.. finding good independent is like finding free money.

A quart in 2k is high in my opinion just because you can run low fast enough to expose yourself to starvation on a on ramp and its not fun to be paranoid about oil level all the time. I had a T5 that used a quart of m1 30-xx every 2k or so without leaks. I switched to Delo 40-15, a diesel (turbo) dino oil with a robust detergent package and high heat juices and the consumption dropped to less than a quart a 3-4k change. Volvo George tipped me off to that one..... He is a character- but that is a short story. He works for Jay Leno now. Based on that fact Jay Leno must be a really cool dude.

Check everything carefully and consider a 40-xx wt synthetic to see what happens.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Volvo George tipped me off to that one..... He is a character- but that is a short story. He works for Jay Leno now. Based on that fact Jay Leno must be a really cool dude.
Seriously? Jealous. Good for him.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Been running castrol edge titanium full synthetic 5w40 and my R barely consumes any oil. I live in a cold area but if cold doesn't get near your car you can put 10w40.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Seriously? Jealous. Good for him.
Yes. I believe Mr Yother can confirm.

I got along very well with George, who I found to be a really interesting guy. I dont think everybody did... He had a cool shop with the all importiant lift out on the half abandoned naval base on Alameda Island Bay Area Cali where MythBusters was/is filmed. I was told by the Volvo parts shop (I forget the name) in Berkeley (Terrible town!!- I you go far enough to the left you go rabid, become an angry Peckerwood, and move to Berkeley! and I'm a Lefty Liberal!)... ahhh. where was I. Oh! I was given George's card like there were two of them in the universe and told not to inquire about price- "Do NOT Haggle" I think were the exact parting words. Just take it in, get it fixed, and pay the bill and everything would work out.

So I did and it did. A couple times George would say, "just hang out and I'll do it now", and I'd help him and then we would bull**** and he would tell these crazy life in the high desert stories revolving around fast cars guns and other,.... stuff. I'd be there 4 hours and he would charge $100 bucks (I'm no dummy, cash!).

I've seen him in a couple of the Leno Shows working on stuff.

True Story!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you think a bad TCV Boost Solenoid would make a difference in oil consumption? I just replaced my Turbo Boost Solenoid thing and it made a HUGE difference in boost and HP as well as gas mileage.. Im sure my old one was pretty bad.. Not sure if that would have anything to do with oil consumption or not.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Shouldn't have really effected your oil consumption. Type of oil will often have a lot to do with it, and sometimes long cruises with lots of manifold vacuum can pull more oil by the rings and valve stem seals than you would with normal stop and go driving.

So top her off again and see if you go above the more normal quart per 3K that many of us got around your mileage. Even with a freshly rebuilt motor and turbo it looks like my consumption is less than one quart every 5K miles but that is sure to go down with time, lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
07' SR ... Mobile 1 synthetic 5w 30 as I was instructed by the PO that's what was in it already
You could try 10w-30
Before the internet, somebody's uncle would probably have told you guys to just read the owners manual... And unless your caR has an '04 or '05 OM, it undoubtedly recommends 0W-30.

So I use Mobil 1 0W-30.

It stays in the crankcase better/longer than 5-30 or even 10-30. (Numbers can be so misleading...)

BTW, the engines never changed, the manuals never changed, but the recommendation did. So even if your older OM does not mention 0W-30, you might want to let your engine check it out anyway...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts