SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oil Consumption Round 3: New engine going in 2015.5 XC70 T6

Hello group,
Just sharing and asking for input.
My XC70 goes into the shop on Tuesday for a new engine.

Yes, another Volvo inline 6 with oil problems.

From 0-10k it used 2.5 quarts. There was a leak in the cam cover. I thought good, root cause found and addressed by the dealership (and at least it's leaking it, and not burning it, or so I thought).

From 10k-15k miles it used 1.8 quarts, and no leak now... When it went below the low line I called the dealership. They took it in and told me that VCNA had instructed them to install a new "upgraded" dipstick. We all agreed that this wouldn't fix anything but would mask the issue by moving the "goalposts." They topped it off and sent me on my way.

I got the survey from that visit and used it to tell VCNA what I thought of how they were treating a customer who spent $50k on one of their vehicles.

Well, the dealership called and VCNA took notice of my survey and wants to put a new motor in. The dealership in Concord, NH said they've done quite a few years of these over the past 2 years (>14). I'm scheduled to drop it off on Tuesday.

Should I be concerned, or happy? Will this lower the value of my car on carfax? I'm slightly leery that the repair can't be as good as I'd as factory original work. Working in automotive myself, hoses, electrical connections, etc. are always better mated, routed, etc. their first time around. Should I be concerned about my catalytic converters and O2 sensors have 2 quarts of 4 quarts of oil in 17k miles go through them?

What's the group's thoughts here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Well the warranty is two or three years, isn't it? When was the dipstick replaced? How long was it since you last topped off the oil? I guess the best course of action would be to just hold off for a while, at least a year? I'm guessing you'll still be eligible for a swap if problems persist and you'll have a 0 mile engine rather than what ever mileage your car will have by then. If anything that should increase the value of the car, shouldn't it?

As for any adverse problems from the swap, the car's still going to be under warranty. The engine swap itself, say it'd be done the last day of warranty, should itself have some warranty for some months. I guess 6-12 months?

Registered
I also got a new T6 motor for my 2012 XC70. I have a thread (in this forum) about my experience. At least Volvo is taking care of us. Hopefully their future (twin power) motors will be more dependable.

Registered
i hope it is a motor flaw that is corrected with the swap....thank god my car at 100k doesnt seem to have an issue...it is a 2009

keep us posted, best of luck

Super Moderator
i hope it is a motor flaw that is corrected with the swap....thank god my car at 100k doesnt seem to have an issue...it is a 2009
The problem with the T6 seems to be rather spotty. I also have a 2009 with 128K miles. It has only used a quart between changes ONCE, and that was potentially caused by an inexperienced tech who didn't tighten something back up...

Registered
Mine's an 08 T6 - currently on 130,000km/80,000miles. Still on the top mark from its last change which was 10,000km/6 months ago.

But I'll check it again tomorrow... :)

Registered
I have a 2011 T6 with just-under 95,000 that I just did an oil change on today, and the level of the old oil before changing was right at the full mark, and the oil has been in there for 5,000 miles.

Registered
I have a 2011 T6 with just-under 95,000 that I just did an oil change on today, and the level of the old oil before changing was right at the full mark, and the oil has been in there for 5,000 miles.
Same here, 87K miles now, every oil change (7500 mile intervals) and it uses zero oil. It seems the engines either have big consumption problems or they're perfect. Which frankly is a good sign. Much better than the 5-cyl engines (particularly the P2 R cars) where they all seem to gradually start using more and more oil as they age.

Registered
Hello group,
Just sharing and asking for input.
My XC70 goes into the shop on Tuesday for a new engine.

Yes, another Volvo inline 6 with oil problems.

From 0-10k it used 2.5 quarts. There was a leak in the cam cover. I thought good, root cause found and addressed by the dealership (and at least it's leaking it, and not burning it, or so I thought).

From 10k-15k miles it used 1.8 quarts, and no leak now... When it went below the low line I called the dealership. They took it in and told me that VCNA had instructed them to install a new "upgraded" dipstick. We all agreed that this wouldn't fix anything but would mask the issue by moving the "goalposts." They topped it off and sent me on my way.

I got the survey from that visit and used it to tell VCNA what I thought of how they were treating a customer who spent $50k on one of their vehicles.

Well, the dealership called and VCNA took notice of my survey and wants to put a new motor in. The dealership in Concord, NH said they've done quite a few years of these over the past 2 years (>14). I'm scheduled to drop it off on Tuesday.

Should I be concerned, or happy? Will this lower the value of my car on carfax? I'm slightly leery that the repair can't be as good as I'd as factory original work. Working in automotive myself, hoses, electrical connections, etc. are always better mated, routed, etc. their first time around. Should I be concerned about my catalytic converters and O2 sensors have 2 quarts of 4 quarts of oil in 17k miles go through them?

What's the group's thoughts here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My experiences with oil burning are with Audi but some of the learnings should transfer. Yes, it will be on your CarFax, but it will say engine removed & reinstalled. It may hurt the value of the car, but since its not a widespread issue it probably wont. With the A4, when the engine R&R shows up, its a known sign of oil consumption and the value takes a hit, but the A4 2.0 is a notorious oil burner. If you plan on keeping your car for a while it wont hurt because if you sell it at 100k+ miles the engine has proven itself to be reliable and the car is worth so little most dealers or buyers wont care. If you sell it earlier just keep the paperwork showing it was done at a Volvo dealer.

Our independent mechanic told us with the A4 that the O2 sensors and cats are only a problem if the car is driven solely on short trips, because there isnt enough heat to burn off the oil. We went 64k in the A4 burning a quart every 800 miles with no exhaust issues.

I would be happy, since dealing with an oil burning engine is no fun, and the reason we sold it. We also didnt want a rebuilt engine, since new and old parts would be mixed. New wasnt offered to us. For the wiring and hoses, modern cars have the engine removed from underneath, with a lot of pieces attached, so when reinstalling everything is done before the motor goes back in, so there is no reaching around and trying to route stuff in a cramped engine bay. You should be ok.

Registered
Another T6 owner with low oil warning light seeking some information and advice.....
2015 XC70 T6. 10K and 20K services done at the dealer with no issues. At 27,213 miles low oil warning light comes on. Checked dipstick and oil level just barely makes it to the bottom of the dipstick. Dealer advises adding 1.5 qts. and to bring the car in for a check as they have a 'protocol' they need to follow.

After 3 days they tell me they pulled plugs, took pictures, reviewed findings with Volvo and no further action required other than installing a new dipstick, software update related to 'how the engine uses oil' and a new sticker applied to the plastic cover under the oil fill that now lists 'Oil Volume 7,9 litres / 8,4 qts'.

Also there is verbiage in the comments section of the invoice that states 'Per Volvo 1QT per 1000 miles is acceptable, no work to be done at this time'.

So the solution is to increase oil volume so that it won't register as low between services??

Is this what others have been experiencing??

Registered
Interesting that you were told 1QT per 1,000 is acceptable. I have the 3.2, and I was told 1QT in between oil changes was acceptable, which was about 6500-7000 miles as I have a 2010 that has the 7500 mile intervals, but I always triggered it earlier somehow.

Anyhow, I ultimately had my engine torn apart under warranty and the piston rings replaced as I was up to 2.5QTs per oil change for 3 consecutive services. I distinctly remember it being 1QT per oil change, not per 1,000 miles, that must be an error in thought when they typed it up.

A few people on here have had the T6 oil issue, it is definitely more common with the 3.2s.

Hope you guys are able to get it sorted out easily!

Registered
glad i don;t have this problem with our 09 3.2!

Interesting that you were told 1QT per 1,000 is acceptable. I have the 3.2, and I was told 1QT in between oil changes was acceptable, which was about 6500-7000 miles as I have a 2010 that has the 7500 mile intervals, but I always triggered it earlier somehow.

Anyhow, I ultimately had my engine torn apart under warranty and the piston rings replaced as I was up to 2.5QTs per oil change for 3 consecutive services. I distinctly remember it being 1QT per oil change, not per 1,000 miles, that must be an error in thought when they typed it up.

A few people on here have had the T6 oil issue, it is definitely more common with the 3.2s.

Hope you guys are able to get it sorted out easily!

Registered
Another T6 owner with low oil warning light seeking some information and advice.....
2015 XC70 T6. 10K and 20K services done at the dealer with no issues. At 27,213 miles low oil warning light comes on. Checked dipstick and oil level just barely makes it to the bottom of the dipstick. Dealer advises adding 1.5 qts. and to bring the car in for a check as they have a 'protocol' they need to follow.

After 3 days they tell me they pulled plugs, took pictures, reviewed findings with Volvo and no further action required other than installing a new dipstick, software update related to 'how the engine uses oil' and a new sticker applied to the plastic cover under the oil fill that now lists 'Oil Volume 7,9 litres / 8,4 qts'.

Also there is verbiage in the comments section of the invoice that states 'Per Volvo 1QT per 1000 miles is acceptable, no work to be done at this time'.

So the solution is to increase oil volume so that it won't register as low between services??

Is this what others have been experiencing??
I would raise a stink. You need a new motor, and it should be covered. 1QT per 1000 miles is laughable when the vast majority of motors use zero noticeable oil between changes.

Registered
1 qt. per 1k miles is NOT acceptable and this sounds a lot like what is going on with Subaru 2.5 engines. According to some Subaru owners on their forum, dealers are also over filling about 1 qt. on the dip stick for extending use per mileage. I have a 2015.5 XC70 T6 awd with only 6k miles on it and if mine starts using more than 1 qt. between ownership manual service schedule, I will be raising hell with my dealership and Volvo. We didn't buy a car at a for $40k plus to have to add oil every 1k miles.

Registered
Just to be clear...
Our T6 did not use 1QT in 1000 miles, it was 1.5QT low about 9000 miles after its last scheduled service. It was just about due for its 30K service when the low oil message appeared.
What I was really questioning is the new sticker that indicates oil fill capacity of 8.4QTS and the comment on the invoice that Volvo believes 1QT per 1000 miles is acceptable.
I will be monitoring oil usage very closely from now on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts