SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned today that after 16 trips to the dealership for repair in 18 months, my CPO 2012 S60 T5 is getting a new engine at 67,000 miles. The straw that broke the camel's back was oil consumption that could not be remedied. About 14,000 miles ago, my oil light came on, alerting me that the car was nearly four quarts low, only 3,500 miles after a service (I know it wasn't under-filled). Even after a piston ring/seal job, it lost 3/4 quart in the subsequent 600 miles, despite no leaks or visible smoke in the exhaust. I've kept up with the services and specified only fully synthetic oil. My service advisor seemed to agree with my theory that being an early example of a P3 T5 was to its detriment. Although it's a 2012 model, it was built in November 2010. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with oil consumption on their T5.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Check out the 320 replies and 19,000 views on the thread, "2012 T5 S60: Oil Guzzler and No Warning" here on swede.speed.com forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologize if this seems to be a duplicate post. I would still be interested to get an idea of how common this problem is and whether it's happening with the earlier production vehicles.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I apologize if this seems to be a duplicate post. I would still be interested to get an idea of how common this problem is and whether it's happening with the earlier production vehicles.
As far as how common, its a good idea to start a poll for that.
Yes, it is for the early 2012s

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
16 trips in 18 mos?! Jesus. Were the majority of those consumption related?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
As far as we can tell it is early model 2012 T5s. Some in the other post have had the ring job with success. I, and the OP, have had the ring job but still burning oil. The OP is getting a new engine. I'll be going back in a month for my last S&S service and we'll see what they say. My consumption is not as bad as yours or the OP but it is increasing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I learned today that after 16 trips to the dealership for repair in 18 months, my CPO 2012 S60 T5 is getting a new engine at 67,000 miles. The straw that broke the camel's back was oil consumption that could not be remedied. About 14,000 miles ago, my oil light came on, alerting me that the car was nearly four quarts low, only 3,500 miles after a service (I know it wasn't under-filled). Even after a piston ring/seal job, it lost 3/4 quart in the subsequent 600 miles, despite no leaks or visible smoke in the exhaust. I've kept up with the services and specified only fully synthetic oil. My service advisor seemed to agree with my theory that being an early example of a P3 T5 was to its detriment. Although it's a 2012 model, it was built in November 2010. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with oil consumption on their T5.
Can you elaborate more? How many trips did it take for you to get them to replace the piston rings and how long after that they agreed/decided to replace the engine. Did you ever talk to VCNA? Did you only have the standard warranty?

n

1 - 8 of 8 Posts