SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question about servicing my 97 GLT wagon:<BR>the dealership recommends oil change every 5K, but a friend who has a 94 turbo wagon says he's always gone 4K between changes.<BR>Any opinion on this? <P>

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The oil change factors are pretty much situation specific. It all depends upon daily mileage, type of oil used, climate, driver habbits, and $$$. As a general rule of thumb, 3000 miles under HARSH driving conditions, 5000 for damn nice conditions, or longer with synthetics and lab testing. I personally go 5000 miles running Mobil 1 0W30 full synthetic oil and Volvo original filters. I drive 50 miles per day normally. I usually see 95% open 80 MPH highway cruising and the rest is in the neighborhood at 30 mph. I check the oil level and color EVERY time I fill the fuel tank. The oil is generally the color of olive oil by 2000+ miles and then becomes a few shades darker by 4000 and then it gets changed once it becomes too much darker than strong coffee. My motor will consume 1/2 quart per 5k miles according to the amount recovered from the pan when doing the oil change. I have 172688 miles on the car now and average 26+ MPG highway. I would rate the driving conditions as ideal since I allow the car time to gradually warm up and then maintain operating temp for 20 min sustained. I could go longer between changes if I were to have the oil tested, but I find that to be a bit extreem for the average car guy. Hope this helps...<BR>Prospero

1 - 2 of 2 Posts