SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all--read through some older posts so I think I have a sense of the community's thoughts but thought I'd ask for input anyway:

I travel a lot for work (by air, not car) but usually manage to put at least 7,500 miles on my car a year so I just take it in for scheduled maintenance at the mileage intervals (no, I don't do do any of my own maintenance--you guys are impressive).

12 months came and went back in November and I've got 1,000 miles to go. Beginning to be concerned that I should get the oil changed, but read some stuff online that said not to worry about it.

Thoughts? Also, I think Volvo specs regular oil for this car. If I switch to full synthetic will I get longer shelf life out of it? Again, my issue is time not distance.

I have owned this car since it was new and never had any issues--it has ~66,000 miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, how soon do you envision adding 1k miles to it? I doubt your car is going to split in two if you wait to change the oil for another month or two. Frankly, I'd just take the next available weekend and change the oil. Since you have pretty low mileage, I'd suggest going to full-syn. The PO switched my V50 over to full-syn around 50k miles and so far no leaks or issues. I also put about 7k mi on my car a year, so I hear ya on that...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
If I remember Bobistheoilguy.com and what they said originally, it's less about miles and time and more about the amount of acids, water, and a whole bunch of other things that end up in motor oil either through time or use that result in the oil doing more harm than good to the engine, regardless if conventional or synthetic was used. Modern day automobiles can usually accept either or specify they need synthetic. The synthetic molecules are smaller, which can cause leaking sooner, but that was the only real significant difference. Some people like me do an oil test sent to blackstone to see if the manufacturer's recommended interval is working, or do I need to cut it down to 5 or 6,000 miles. That will be the truest test. But I keep mine no more than 6 months or 6000 miles. I always change it between 5000-6000 miles or 6 months depending on which paycheck it falls into.

I always use synthetic since I have a T5. Unless it is specially formulated turbo vehicles, I stay away from conventional/semi and just do full synthetic. At the very least, I think it will coke less from running through a hot turbo. If it's an nonturbo/super/pro car and just breathes regular air, I'd do any kind of oil, just making sure it's the correct weight.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
In general it's always whichever comes first. You don't want to push oil changes on these cars, especially if you are already going as long/far as the manufacturer recommends.

Sooner than later is always better when it comes to maintenance.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Factory service intervals are pretty much dictated by what will make the car look good in terms of service costs over a given time frame - so anyone looking at new car vehicle costs & is a penny-pincher will obviously consider vehicle X over vehicle Y if perceived maintenance costs are lower...

Nothing has really changed in our T5 motors since the inception (obviously EMS changes that do offer cleaner emissions, etc, have some impact) - but service intervals are significantly longer now. I think it foolish to follow the book - better to half whatever they give to be safe. I think 3K/3months is long enough in-between, but I always drive my Volvos hard.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think it depends on how you drive. My gf drives the s40 to the train station, so the oil rarely even reaches temp. I end up changing it every 2k or 3k. On my xc90 I drive a lot more and farther distances so I do it every 4ish. I don't go past 5 even with synthetic. I do it myself and oil Mobil 1 is 22 bucks for 5qt at Walmart on sale and oem filters are only 7 bucks online so it's not a big deal.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I really don't care what the companies say about their oil. I change it ever 5k miles or 6 months, which ever comes first.

On the 850, that's only 1500 miles in 6 months. But I'd rather spend $30 to change it twice a year, than to save $30 and risk harm in the long run.

·
Registered
388 Posts
With newer motors and technology the old motto of "3 months or 3k miles" doesn't really apply anymore, especially to newer cars. You can go 5-10k miles before you change your oil. Doing 2-4 oil changes a year is acceptable. If you want more piece of mind then go ahead and revert to the "3k or 3 months". Unless you frequently track or beat your car I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just adds cost that can go elsewhere honestly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've heard that the oil change time is more so for the filter than the oil. My Alero and Delta will get changed once a year. The Delta might get 2000 a year the Alero has seen less than 500 a year since buying the Volvo. Even in the owners manual for both cars it calls for an oil change at 5,000 miles or 6 months and the Delta is 31 years old :eek:

The Volvo gets it done once a year, as per the owners manual. However, it's only seeing about 6,000 a year since I bought it

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the inputs all...I will just get the service done now and then probably do it at 6 mos or so if it looks like I have another low-mileage year in 2016.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts