SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh I agree, people become very set in their ways. That's why these oil change threads always turn into a drawn out debate.

I've seen some badly neglected 3.2Ls and I would not recommend changing the oil beyond the factory recommended interval.

Haven't had any Drive-Es yet, but they are newer. If changing the oil every 10k miles is too much of a chore though, buy a Tesla or wait for the recharges to be available.
I agree about the debate part. I've been in a photography forum for a number of years and you should see how folks carry on about "to use a protective lens filter" to "not" use one. It's like a religious war, and best avoided :D .

I only had my '08 V70 for 12 years and 115K. It had the 6-cyl 3.2 and and per the manual, REGULAR oil changes were recommended every 7500 miles. I remember being very surprised when I first heard the engine required nearly 8 Qts of oil! Of course it is a 6 and not a 4-cyl like the current models and European change intervals are longer than in America.
At my first oil change I switched to full synthetic and followed the mfr schedule. I didn't mind going to the dealership because I always have questions about other things and learn much about the various systems and other aspects of the car. These talks also helped build a relationship of trust and confidence. I place a lot on that when I'm having a vehicle maintained that is beyond my ability to repair.

When I traded the car this past summer it was running like a top and I never saw any smoke out the exhaust. I planned to have it for at least 10 years and that was the main reason I went synthetic. I'm sure it will be running much, much longer so long as someone takes care of it. Body and interior were in beautiful shape.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Different countries suggested different oil change intervals. Here's an old thread:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Different countries suggested different oil change intervals. Here's an old thread:

Very true, very true.
Whatever interval one prefers - and certainly to each their own - I regard high quality oil changes as the cheapest and easiest of engine insurance policies.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My 2016 D5 in Italy has 30k km service intervals, per manual. Not sure if it's because it is a diesel or not.

But I don't find this unusual. I have owned other cars with the same engines and different service intervals EU vs. USA - by BMW and Range Rover. In general, I have come to accept that US service manuals require more frequent oil changes, but my evidence is anecdotal at best. At the same time, European dealers have generally much shorter projected lifespans for tires (but the same criteria for wear, usually). Perhaps I am cynical, but I don't find any of this surprising...
I’m sure it’s cultural. Porsche had tried increasing intervals past 20k mi or every 2 yrs and that led to a US forums revolt and they moved back to 10-12k mi. Then in the forums it was taken as evidence by some forum members of their better judgment to change every 5k or 6 months. You always hear about how it’s cheap insurance. Just like going to McDo and getting a handful of packets of ketchup and mayonnaise to then promptly throwing them unopened in the trash vs. in EU where you pay €0.10 for a packet and you use it. Likewise oil in EU isn’t cheap and isn’t discarded every few miles just because it smells used. Engines are designed to go longer and oils are designed to hold up better. When you have the luxury of discarding oil more frequently it’s an easy elixir. You even see it here on Swedespeed, too, as a point of pride of how frequently some change their oil. Some still even pound their chest about changing it every 3k and how righteous they are for it.

Reactions: joethestranger

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2016 D5 in Italy has 30k km service intervals, per manual. Not sure if it's because it is a diesel or not.

But I don't find this unusual. I have owned other cars with the same engines and different service intervals EU vs. USA - by BMW and Range Rover. In general, I have come to accept that US service manuals require more frequent oil changes, but my evidence is anecdotal at best. At the same time, European dealers have generally much shorter projected lifespans for tires (but the same criteria for wear, usually). Perhaps I am cynical, but I don't find any of this surprising...
I’ve got a 2016 D5 as well, but service manual says every 20k km foe a full service and interim oil change every 10k km.... but foe petrol models it’s all 20k km oil changes. I only change at 20k km since I still have a maintenance plan and this is what all dealers recommend. 30k km would be sweet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
849 Posts
I change every 5k miles, it is indeed cheap insurance. I can get two 5qt jugs of fully synthetic oil from costco for $25. It's cheaper than milk! If the Euros want to run their oil for 17k miles that's fine with me. I sleep well knowing that my cars are always running on fresh oil. The used oil is recycled, I'm not killing any whales or dolphins...

Some countries in EU also charge 100% duty on vehicles (previously it was 180% in Denmark.) There is little logic in any of this, it's all politics. What's a few dollars for an oil change if you've already paid for the car twice?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I change every 5k miles, it is indeed cheap insurance. I can get two 5qt jugs of fully synthetic oil from costco for $25. It's cheaper than milk! If the Euros want to run their oil for 17k miles that's fine with me. I sleep well knowing that my cars are always running on fresh oil. The used oil is recycled, I'm not killing any whales or dolphins...

Some countries in EU also charge 100% duty on vehicles (previously it was 180% in Denmark.) There is little logic in any of this, it's all politics. What's a few dollars for an oil change if you've already paid for the car twice?
But now the factory spec oil for SPA cars is not available outside dealer network. What can we do?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

In the summertime, I often put 5k miles on my car in a month.
It's not the monetary cost. It's time.

EDIT: ok, maybe not quite. But I have put more than 5k per month last summer... and I easily have over 10k June-August. Changing oil twice in three months... I don't care for a couple hundred bucks. I do care if it costs me a couple of hours each time.

·
Registered
849 Posts
But now the factory spec oil for SPA cars is not available outside dealer network. What can we do?
I used Pennzoil for the first couple DIY changes until Volvo changed the spec. I bought from my local dealer, got the Volvo spec Castrol. It was rather expensive compared to oil from Costco or Walmart. Eventually we'll be able to buy it from Amazon...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have sometimes though about why in US you have to change oil so often, around after every 5-8k miles? And why here in EU we can use the same oil 2-3x longer, with changes after every 15-18k miles?

I had previous gen Volvo XC90 3.2 with almost 400k km on clock when I finally sold it. Oil was changed after every 20k km, sometimes little later maybe 25k km. Service interval according to Volvo was 20k km. Had zero issues with the engine.
If you change the oil more often, the engine lasts longer. Long-life additives work well in old low-performance engines, but they are very bad for modern high-efficiency engines. There is a big difference between different oils. Experienced mechanics will sometimes refuse to work on an engine when it has gone long over its service interval or where the wrong oil has been used because they know that problems with clogged oil passages ruin an engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been running a Volvo shop in Washington State for 30 year plus. First, the 2013 and newer cars all call for an ACEA A5B5 spec for synthetic oil. Second, I feel like oil changes are no money makers in themselves but still recommend to our customers that they change oil every 5k miles or 6 months. Long oil change intervals lead to carbon build up, dirtier engines, and more frequent problems due to poor lubrication. Third, I feel that tire pressures, brake inspection, and other fluids should be looked at more than once a year.
With the human tendency to procrastinate, if you stick to 10k interval, or 16,000KM, when you're late, it's not uncommon to go 15k or more. Stay ahead of the game and do what it takes to protect your investment.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought you could go longer between changes with full synthetic?
Longer on full synthetic? Nope, that rule applied to the low-performance engines of 20-years ago. The modern direct-injection engines operate at higher temperatures. The oil has to be exactly matched to the engine and the oil degrades rapidly anyway. If you push the interval, your oil isn't lubricating and you are causing excessive wear. Oil is VERY cheap in comparison with replacing the engine. In my opinion, the bad reputation some cars have is because they are popular among people who don't do proper maintenance. Classic tale - the engine in the early Peugeot 207 CC and the BMW Mini Cooper is identical, but only the Peugeot has a bad reputation. The BMW Mini Cooper owners tend to be enthusiasts who are happy to change the oil. Peugeot owners start complaining when they even think about it.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Only people that want to go longer are people that are cheap asses.

$100-140 oil change is normal. This isn't 1980 anymore.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RootDKJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, if for decades oil has been changed after every 5k, 6k or 10k miles, it's hard to change that. It becomes little like a religion, even if such a frequent change is not necessary with modern engines and full synthetic oils, most still believe the old ways.

I'm quite sure there is no need to change oil in US or Canada after every 5k or even 10k miles. Here in EU, longer 12k (20k km) and even more commonly 18k mile (30k km) service intervals have been used for years. You wouldn't sell a single car here with 5k or 6k mile service interval.

But on the other side, you wouldn't sell a single car in US with 18k service interval. I mean Volvo could just change the interval from 10k miles or whatever it is to 18k and I'm quite sure technically nothing would happen with the engines. They would run like before, for years. But it's a question of belief. If for decades it has been told, that oil must be changed every 5k miles and now someone says it's 18k miles, it's hard to believe.
And still here in inner city Los Angeles, the oil deteriorates quite rapidly both from high daily temperatures during the summer and that most traffic is not moving in rush hour and cars are running at their maximum temps.
Also to keep in mind that many and most car owners here does not open the hood between each visit to the service station once a year so the engine might be 3-4 quarts low on oil when it's time to change.
It is working better with 10K miles oil change intervals now when the oil sump is up at around 6-8 quarts of oil but 10K miles or once a year is still a good interval if customer is planning to keep the car long term.

Anders

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I've been running a Volvo shop in Washington State for 30 year plus. First, the 2013 and newer cars all call for an ACEA A5B5 spec for synthetic oil.
Not all. Just 5 and 6 cylinders.

I agree that having the car looked over annually is a good idea though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been running a Volvo shop in Washington State for 30 year plus. First, the 2013 and newer cars all call for an ACEA A5B5 spec for synthetic oil. Second, I feel like oil changes are no money makers in themselves but still recommend to our customers that they change oil every 5k miles or 6 months. Long oil change intervals lead to carbon build up, dirtier engines, and more frequent problems due to poor lubrication. Third, I feel that tire pressures, brake inspection, and other fluids should be looked at more than once a year.
With the human tendency to procrastinate, if you stick to 10k interval, or 16,000KM, when you're late, it's not uncommon to go 15k or more. Stay ahead of the game and do what it takes to protect your investment.

Dave
I wouldn't want to go beyond a year for an oil change but IMO doing it every six months seems excessive and wasteful. I don't disagree though about keeping a good watch on the other systems you mention.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I know Canada and UK are 16k. Didn't know there was another interval elsewhere. And I have no idea the reason for it.
It's all economics. Ponder this...logically would you think volvos in OPEC countries have higher or lower mandated frequencies for oil changes?

It's all a bunch of BS...just like how my t8 only gets 14 miles on ERAD...bow down to the oil overlords.

Change oil every 10k miles or once a year just to be safe with full synthetic and you'll be more than fine.

Don't get me started on you people who insist on premium gas.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts