SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had my oil changed by my local Indy shop and he said it took a LOT of oil and the cost was around $140.

A) is this reasonable? (I'm in NY)
B) the Volvo site says change the oil every 10K miles - is this accurate?

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Cost is in line for that area if it is full syn.

Change every 5-6 if full syn. Changing every 10 is bs that just helps volco save on complimentary service.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: HKliltXC40

·
Registered
603 Posts
So I just had my oil changed by my local Indy shop and he said it took a LOT of oil and the cost was around $140.

A) is this reasonable? (I'm in NY)
B) the Volvo site says change the oil every 10K miles - is this accurate?
It's either 6.2 quarts (2016-2019) or it's 5.9 quarts (2020-2021). So not necessarily a lot of oil. But that price is not out of the ordinary. My dealers charge more than that.

10k miles or every year is what Volvo says.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is a reasonable price at a dealer. I own a 2017 XC90 T6 with 50K miles on it. I plan on using a very reputable local maintenance shop every 5K. They include tire rotation at no cost, which I like.

In the past, I've been servicing at the dealer every 10K, and got tire rotation at a discount tire shop. Going forwarding, I will have my car serviced at the local shop every 5K. It will be an one shop for both oil change & tire rotation at a reasonably same cost what I have been paying every 10K at the Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In EU oil change interval is 30k km (approx 18,6k miles). Full syn is used. I had the dealer do first change at 10k km. Next ones I'll probably do around 20k km.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Most of german rivals (MB, BMW, VW) offer 30k km service intervals. I think here in EU people find it annoying to go to the dealer more than once per year.

Toyotas and Subarus have 20k km intervals. European brands have 30k km intervals. Googled Volvo forums on German site motor-talk and on there they also say it's 30k km.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Googling Volvo forums isn't necessarily accurate or official. I'm sure they have the same never ending threads about oil there as well.

Apparently Volvo doesn't have the maintenance manuals online for Estonia like they do here. That's what I was looking for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have sometimes though about why in US you have to change oil so often, around after every 5-8k miles? And why here in EU we can use the same oil 2-3x longer, with changes after every 15-18k miles?

I had previous gen Volvo XC90 3.2 with almost 400k km on clock when I finally sold it. Oil was changed after every 20k km, sometimes little later maybe 25k km. Service interval according to Volvo was 20k km. Had zero issues with the engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Googling Volvo forums isn't necessarily accurate or official. I'm sure they have the same never ending threads about oil there as well.

Apparently Volvo doesn't have the maintenance manuals online for Estonia like they do here. That's what I was looking for.
Tried to find them online, but didn't find either (in Estonian, Finnish or German).

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My 2016 D5 in Italy has 30k km service intervals, per manual. Not sure if it's because it is a diesel or not.

But I don't find this unusual. I have owned other cars with the same engines and different service intervals EU vs. USA - by BMW and Range Rover. In general, I have come to accept that US service manuals require more frequent oil changes, but my evidence is anecdotal at best. At the same time, European dealers have generally much shorter projected lifespans for tires (but the same criteria for wear, usually). Perhaps I am cynical, but I don't find any of this surprising...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have been trying to look it up, but can't find it. But I did stumble upon this:

It's the Italian site for prepaid service contracts. As far as I can tell, it pertains to all Volvo current models, but it's not super-clear.
But it says "12 mesi oppure a intervalli di 30.000 km " - which is probably clear enough even without me translating.

I still can't find a manual, however. I am curious, because I seem to remember that my Italian D5 did not specify yearly intervals - just 30,000 km. I am pretty sure I remember this correctly - when I bought that car, I was already spending most of my time in the USA, and I was putting less than 30k kms per year, so I remember looking into it. But the prepaid maintenance plan clearly states 30,000 km or 1 year.

UK is definitely 18k kms now, as Tech said above. Well, not sure if all models. And so is Canada.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The service / warranty journal kept in car and where done maintenances are marked says 30000 km.

It's in Polish as I actually bought it from a Volvo dealer in Poland.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A) Yes.
B) Yes.
Done.

I smell another 40 posts about everyone's favorite topic though.
I’m staying out of this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I know Canada and UK are 16k. Didn't know there was another interval elsewhere. And I have no idea the reason for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, if for decades oil has been changed after every 5k, 6k or 10k miles, it's hard to change that. It becomes little like a religion, even if such a frequent change is not necessary with modern engines and full synthetic oils, most still believe the old ways.

I'm quite sure there is no need to change oil in US or Canada after every 5k or even 10k miles. Here in EU, longer 12k (20k km) and even more commonly 18k mile (30k km) service intervals have been used for years. You wouldn't sell a single car here with 5k or 6k mile service interval.

But on the other side, you wouldn't sell a single car in US with 18k service interval. I mean Volvo could just change the interval from 10k miles or whatever it is to 18k and I'm quite sure technically nothing would happen with the engines. They would run like before, for years. But it's a question of belief. If for decades it has been told, that oil must be changed every 5k miles and now someone says it's 18k miles, it's hard to believe.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Oh I agree, people become very set in their ways. That's why these oil change threads always turn into a drawn out debate.

I've seen some badly neglected 3.2Ls and I would not recommend changing the oil beyond the factory recommended interval.

Haven't had any Drive-Es yet, but they are newer. If changing the oil every 10k miles is too much of a chore though, buy a Tesla or wait for the recharges to be available.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts