SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A salesman told me that during an oil change the dealer doesn't use the drain plug to empty the oil. Instead they use a pump to suck it out from the top just like Jaguar does. He said they do it because it saves time and they don't have to put it on a lift. Any truth to that? have you guys heard anything similar?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
That's a salesman making stuff up that he has no clue about. I understand making stuff up to make a sale (I don't agree with it, but I understand it). But I have no idea why one would make this up.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,038 Posts
I mean, technically it can be done but why would he do that? That also means he's not changing your Oil filter at every oil change! Talk to a SA instead of a sales guy. I'm not sure he's giving you the correct information. And if he is, I would look for another Volvo dealership to take my business too. I've never heard any dealership/Independent mechanic shops doing this, let alone Volvo.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I mean, technically it can be done but why would he do that? That also means he's not changing your Oil filter at every oil change! Talk to a SA instead of a sales guy. I'm not sure he's giving you the correct information. And if he is, I would look for another Volvo dealership to take my business too. I've never heard any dealership/Independent mechanic shops doing this, let alone Volvo.
Those are exactly my concerns as well. How would you change the filter if not from underneath?

However, i have to tell you that i struck a friendship with this guy and because he was leaving and going back to Thailand for good, he was very straight up with me. He told me, his manager was a loser and did not know how to negotiate. He would play hard ball with some and give away the store to others and blame the employees for everything. He told me he had seen the shop syphon oil from the top on some cars but not all.

On a separate note, did you guys know that the Jaguar F-Pace does not have an oil drain plug at all? Its standard procedure to change the oil with a syphon pump from the top. So i know the practice exists. I don't agree with it but i know it exists.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
If he said some cars and not others, that may be true. Some Volvo engines have a filter accessible from the top. Not the XC40, which is what I assumed you meant since this is the XC40 forum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If he said some cars and not others, that may be true. Some Volvo engines have a filter accessible from the top. Not the XC40, which is what I assumed you meant since this is the XC40 forum.
I DID mean the XC40, but now that you mention it I'm not sure if he meant it too.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,038 Posts
On a separate note, did you guys know that the Jaguar F-Pace does not have an oil drain plug at all? Its standard procedure to change the oil with a syphon pump from the top. So i know the practice exists. I don't agree with it but i know it exists.
I would imagine the F-Pace has it's oil filter accessible from the top, then. The only other reason I can think of for pumping oil out the top is if your drain plug is damaged, the threads are stripped or for some reason, it won't come out, that too as the last-ditch option. It's just flat-out wrong to not change your oil filter along with an oil change (which they might be doing if they are changing the oil in the SPA Vehicles using the pump method). And it's plain bull**** if they tell you they DO change the oil filter but still siphon the oil from the top. Does not make any sense. My two cents, another dealer. Either the guy does not know squat about oil changes in SPA Vehicles (in which case, this is major miscommunication, because, as @tech said, some Volvo engines do have the top filter and all this discussion is for nothing) and if he does, be thankful he told you about it.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
They aren't sucking it out of SPA or CMA cars. It would be more hassle than it's worth. Hell, I don't even know if they still have the dummy dipstick tube hidden under the intake anymore.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They aren't sucking it out of SPA or CMA cars. It would be more hassle than it's worth. Hell, I don't even know if they still have the dummy dipstick tube hidden under the intake anymore.
WAIT what?! there is a dip stick tube? a dummy dipstick tube? I hate how manufacturers are moving towards eliminating the oil dip stick.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
The Drive-E engines do not have a dipstick. There is a tube under the intake like a dipstick tube. It is hard to see or get to. It would be much easier to just lift the car and drain the oil. No one is sucking it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts