SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to research if my local dealer is over charging on oil changes. Unfortunately, most of the posts I have found online are over 10 years old. I believe they just raised it to $175 from $135 (the claim regardless of engine and despite they charged me extra on top of the $135 for my s80 3.2 due to taking more oil than they thought - but this was prior to the price hike as well) Our XC60 is the T5 5 cylinder turbo, not the e-drive engine. Just wondering what everyone is seeing on cost for this. I would do it myself as I now do with the s80, except it is a CPO and I'm not sure what information I would need to record in the event of a claim on the CPO warranty.

Adam

2010 S80 3.2 - 185k miles
2015 XC60 T5 - 50k miles

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Changing your own oil does not void your warranty unless you mess something up. Even then, the warranty is still valid. It just wouldn't cover what you damaged. $175 sounds steep for just an oil change. You sure they aren't quoting a 10k service? What dealer is this if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I change my own oil. I use Castrol Edge full synthetic which is what is recommended by volvo. Between the filter and oil I spend around 65-70 dollars.

My car is a CPO. My dealership is well aware that I do my own oil changes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was off. My wife told me that they bumped it to 150 not 175. It’s Volvo of Edinburg. I called the dealer in San Antonio (4 hours away) and they quoted 120.

What information are you maintaining to maintain the warranty? I’d much rather do that as it’s much cheaper to do it myself.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I was off. My wife told me that they bumped it to 150 not 175. It’s Volvo of Edinburg. I called the dealer in San Antonio (4 hours away) and they quoted 120.

What information are you maintaining to maintain the warranty? I’d much rather do that as it’s much cheaper to do it myself.
Their website shows $119.99.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you see the 119.99? I’m hoping they weren’t trying to overcharge my wife. I know they charged me an extra 20 for the 3.2 engine in my s80

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Most ads for oil service include up to 6qts. Your 3.2 holds approx 8.5qts. So they charged you for the extra 3 qts it needed. Probably charged shop supplies and other BS fees as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never saw that. Looks like they over charged us last time. Thanks for letting me know about that

·
Registered
71 Posts
FYI, from my local dealer, oil and filter change is $135, oil and filter change plus tire rotation is $180. I have a 2015.5 and a 2016 XC60, both are 6-cyl T6. We purchased these in a volvo promotion event, so the car came with free maintenance up to 50k miles. I just had the last free service done on them. I am planing to do future service myself. Two exact same cars will make the job easier. If you diy the five services from 60k to 100k plus brake jobs, you can save at least $2000 on each car compared to dealer's quote.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts