SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Volvo recommends an oil change every 10,000 miles with full synthetic oil on MY 2013 S60s. I've never used synthetic oil before. With every new car I've ever owned, I'd get the first oil change within 3,000 miles then 4,000 to 5,000 miles thereafter. Waiting 10,000 miles makes me very nervous. I know that Volvo will only pay for the oil changes per their schedule, but what's the opinion of other MY 2013 owners? Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The general consensus around here seems to be every 3-6k and definitely with synthetic because it's a turbo. Volvo says (and will pay for, but only with dino oil) every 7.5k for my 2012 RD. I've been going every 3k with synth and just paying for every other one AND bringing my own Mobil-1. I plan on keeping my car for awhile, so I want to keep the engine clean and healthy.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
7,500 is a good interval on synthetic.
In Europe, people (with many different brands) go at least 10,000 miles between oil changes, of course, using a quality synthetic oil.

Using synthetic oil and changing it in anything less than 7,500 miles is waste of money and resources.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oil change intervals and brands is like talking about religion and politics. For examples and arguments for and against all sides go to Bob Is the Oil Guy.com.

I go with a high frequency interval based on what I've read and heard from my old mechanic that worked on my Audi, which had a somewhat notorious 1.8T engine known for sludging. That engine, with frequent synth oil changes looked clean and new inside. And actually, his main argument for frequent changes was not about the oil - it was about the filter! He had seen MANY filters break apart with longer intervals and send filter bits into the engine and ruin them. Mostly with European cars I believe. And the shop that works on our Porsche goes with 6k on our Cayenne. I'll spend the extra money to have a bit of "insurance" that my car will make it 10 years without any major engine issues. I think 7,500 with synth may be just fine, depending on how you drive and the climate (moisture, extreme high or low temps, etc.), but for me 6k is as long as I like to go now that I've read a bit and talked to a few shops.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
In Europe, people (with many different brands) go at least 10,000 miles between oil changes, of course, using a quality synthetic oil.

Using synthetic oil and changing it in anything less than 7,500 miles is waste of money and resources.
We can agree to disagree, Grecian. Oil in Europe costs twice as much as it does here.

Turbo engines are tough on oil and t5s have been historically bad with fuel dilution. Not to mention most of them will probably use a quart of oil before they reach 10k miles.

10k is safe i suppose, hell as long as it has oil in the crankcase it is safe. Just a little close to for me, not much active additive left by 10k miles.

What if it takes someone a year to put 10k miles on their car grecian?

·
Registered
620 Posts
For low mileage driver's (less than 8000 miles a year), is the one year max interval too long? For my wife's GM car, I change the oil every six months with semi synthetic, even though the on board oil life meter says I could go longer up to a year.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
We can agree to disagree, Grecian. Oil in Europe costs twice as much as it does here.
I do not see what price has to do with longevity and how people use their motor oil there (in engines that are way higher strung than most here). So, is their gas better as well even though its costs at least 2x as much as ours?

Turbo engines are tough on oil and t5s have been historically bad with fuel dilution. Not to mention most of them will probably use a quart of oil before they reach 10k miles.
Yes, turbos are more demanding thus the use of synthetic oil in MY13s every 10,000 miles. As far as the rest, let's wait for facts rather than presume.

With regards to older T5s, my personal car uses less than 1/3 of a quart every 7,500 miles...and it has over 125,000 miles.

10k is safe i suppose, hell as long as it has oil in the crankcase it is safe. Just a little close to for me, not much active additive left by 10k miles.

What if it takes someone a year to put 10k miles on their car grecian?
I can respect that.

Regarding your question, it would be ok to wait 12 months but my rule of thumb is to change the oil on the 6th month if the miles are very low. With my personal car, I go 7,500 miles or 6 months.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I say for the first oil change you should take it in around 5-6K miles. Every one after that you should change it at the 10K mark (provided you know it's a quality brand such as Mobile 1 Fulll Synthetic).

·
Registered
97 Posts
This all kind of has me worried now. At the 7500 mile service, I wanted to pay the extra money to get synthetic for my '12 T6, but the service rep insisted that its a waste and Volvo designed the motors to run on regular oil. He said with technology nowadays, they don't NEED the synthetic. He did, however, sell me on the extra additive they sell for the oil. I'm at about 9500 miles now and I'm not sure if I should insist on switching to synthetic now. My '12 C30 T5 (I know...wrong forum) has about 4000 miles too...should I wait until the 7500 miles to change that oil if T5s might have more problems down the road?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
This all kind of has me worried now. At the 7500 mile service, I wanted to pay the extra money to get synthetic for my '12 T6, but the service rep insisted that its a waste and Volvo designed the motors to run on regular oil. He said with technology nowadays, they don't NEED the synthetic. He did, however, sell me on the extra additive they sell for the oil. I'm at about 9500 miles now and I'm not sure if I should insist on switching to synthetic now. My '12 C30 T5 (I know...wrong forum) has about 4000 miles too...should I wait until the 7500 miles to change that oil if T5s might have more problems down the road?
My dealer was happy to upgrade my oil change to full synth for $24. And I got a $20 rebate from Castrol (dealer provided the coupon and pre-addressed envelope).

I'm at 10,000 now after going to the VCNA open house this weekend. I'll change the oil around 11,000 and get it checked. Depending on how that looks I'll stick with 3500 or slip to 7500 -- but remain with full synth.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Additive? What additive. Generally speaking oil additives are not needed. Don't NEED synthetic? Well, tell 'em that Volvo specs the 2013s with synthetic (at a longer interval, but still) and it has the same engine.

No need to worry. I'd just change it out to synthetic when you get a chance, but not past about 13k miles in your case. Then just go with synthetic at whatever interval you feel comfortable with - somewhere between 3-7.5k depending on these factors - do you plan I keeping the car a long time, extreme climate, driving style, do you track the car, etc....

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My dealer was happy to upgrade my oil change to full synth for $24. And I got a $20 rebate from Castrol (dealer provided the coupon and pre-addressed envelope).

I'm at 10,000 now after going to the VCNA open house this weekend. I'll change the oil around 11,000 and get it checked. Depending on how that looks I'll stick with 3500 or slip to 7500 -- but remain with full synth.
That is the direction I am leaning too!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
We can agree to disagree, Grecian. Oil in Europe costs twice as much as it does here. /QUOTE]

There isn't a direct correlation between quality of oil in Europe due to price vs, quality of less expensive Engine Oil in America- how much of the price in Europe is Tax and, or environmental fees?
I really doubt the fuel dilution for a T5 is anywhere near as severe as Direct Injection engines from Audi and BMW- which has been a real issue. Spend some time reading Used Oil Analysis of Volvo engines (readily available on the internet) and you will
see these engines are doing fine on 10K+ oil change intervals on quality synthetic engine oils. Most turbo engines will consume some oil in a 10K interval that will require topping off which will introduce fresh oil and additives.
I am a bit past 4000 miles on Mobil 1 10W30 EP Synthetic and checked last week and was 3/4 of a quart low and topped off. I previously ran Redline 10W30 until my last oil change and consumption does seem higher with Mobil 1 EP
and I will likely switch back to Redline, I have a 2005 S60R with @103800 miles on the odometer with no modifications.

One could argue there is more chance of human error with receiving oil changes 2X to 3X as often as someone that does 10K intervals leading to more chances of loose oil drain plugs, filter housings overtightened and broken; hoses and sensors knocked loose.
That is one reason I avoid quick lube places for more frequent oil changes and rather pay more for a top drawer synthetic and oil changes performed somewhere I trust when I can schedule a trip to my preferred mechanic's location (Which is out of state for me).

If someone doesn't accumulate 10K miles in a year I would recommend getting an oil change 1X a year using a premium synthetic and an OEM filter unless they live an environment with extremes that may warrant more attention.

·
Registered
147 Posts
7500 as per the manufacturer's recommendation. My dealer uses a "synthetic blend", whatever that is.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
We can agree to disagree, Grecian. Oil in Europe costs twice as much as it does here. /QUOTE]

There isn't a direct correlation between quality of oil in Europe due to price vs, quality of less expensive Engine Oil in America- how much of the price in Europe is Tax and, or environmental fees?
I really doubt the fuel dilution for a T5 is anywhere near as severe as Direct Injection engines from Audi and BMW- which has been a real issue. Spend some time reading Used Oil Analysis of Volvo engines (readily available on the internet) and you will
see these engines are doing fine on 10K+ oil change intervals on quality synthetic engine oils. Most turbo engines will consume some oil in a 10K interval that will require topping off which will introduce fresh oil and additives.
I am a bit past 4000 miles on Mobil 1 10W30 EP Synthetic and checked last week and was 3/4 of a quart low and topped off. I previously ran Redline 10W30 until my last oil change and consumption does seem higher with Mobil 1 EP
and I will likely switch back to Redline, I have a 2005 S60R with @103800 miles on the odometer with no modifications.

One could argue there is more chance of human error with receiving oil changes 2X to 3X as often as someone that does 10K intervals leading to more chances of loose oil drain plugs, filter housings overtightened and broken; hoses and sensors knocked loose.
That is one reason I avoid quick lube places for more frequent oil changes and rather pay more for a top drawer synthetic and oil changes performed somewhere I trust when I can schedule a trip to my preferred mechanic's location (Which is out of state for me).

If someone doesn't accumulate 10K miles in a year I would recommend getting an oil change 1X a year using a premium synthetic and an OEM filter unless they live an environment with extremes that may warrant more attention.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Sure you don't NEED healthy foods to live. Would it do you better in the long term? Absolutely. It's the same principal. I wouldn't get anything other than synthetics with turbo engines making over 200 HP (then again, I do like to rev the engine a bit).

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Quality synthetic is the key. Most longer interval manufacturers require specific brands/weights that meet their standard. Does Volvo do the same and if so, are the dealers onboard with the proper type? That said, only an oil analysis will tell the absolute truth.

Not necessarily true. I used a 3500-4000 mile interval on the S60R (with M1) and the analysis consistently came back with oil breakdown/additive dilution more indicative of 5000+ mile intervals. Audi recommends the first change at 5K and every 10K thereafter but that's using VW502/505 spec approved oil. I went with 2500/5000 and am about to have a change at the 10K mile mark......which will be a 5K interval. I'll let Blackstone tell me what is best for the vehicle based on the result.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Quality synthetic is the key. Most longer interval manufacturers require specific brands/weights that meet their standard. Does Volvo do the same and if so, are the dealers onboard with the proper type? That said, only an oil analysis will tell the absolute truth.
Doesn't Volvo recommend Castrol oil for their engines?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts