SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the first oil change. Drained it all for an hour while warm. Refilled with 6 quarts of valvoline fully synthetic 0w-20. In settings the blue oil level indicator is full. Did I overfill? Dealer told me 7 quarts. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
What does the manual say? 5.9?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
the first good while of services are free at the dealer, why bother doing it yourself?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer says he can’t do the complimentary oil change until 10k miles. I told him the car is a year old and the maintenance reminder is on. He advised me to do it myself. Instead of arguing with him over a $60 service I just did it myself.

I checked the user manual but no mention on oil capacity for some reason.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Dealer says he can’t do the complimentary oil change until 10k miles. I told him the car is a year old and the maintenance reminder is on. He advised me to do it myself. Instead of arguing with him over a $60 service I just did it myself.

I checked the user manual but no mention on oil capacity for some reason.

Are you in the US? If so, that's BS. It can be done at 1 year or earlier. But your other posts say you bought it in July, so that would be too early.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you in the US? If so, that's BS. It can be done at 1 year or earlier. But your other posts say you bought it in July, so that would be too early.
I purchased the car in July, but it was delivered to dealer in October 2019. I just assumed the service minder comes on at 1yr or 10k miles, whichever comes first. No matter, I like to do an early oil change for a brand new engine before the 10k mark.

I also didn't have the oil filter wrench. I didn't replace the filter, just drained the oil through the pan and oil filter opening, and refilled it with new oil. I have a 86mm oil filter wrench on order though.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Then the dealer was right. The sales person should have reset the service reminder at the time of sale but they didn't. The services go from in service date (delivery to customer, not dealer)

·
Registered
21 Posts
FACTORY SCHEDULE MAINTENANCE PROGRAM "Volvo recommends that you bring your vehicle in for service at least once a year regardless of mileage. In such cases Volvo will cover the recommended services at 1 per year for the first 3 years."

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Note in the manual it says the system can NOT correctly detect changes when draining or filling and the car must be driven 20 miles before a measurement will be accurate. It goes on to say that if you get an oil light with a message that says Engine oil level service required, that would then be an indicator that you put too much in.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
FACTORY SCHEDULE MAINTENANCE PROGRAM "Volvo recommends that you bring your vehicle in for service at least once a year regardless of mileage. In such cases Volvo will cover the recommended services at 1 per year for the first 3 years."
Yes, starting from in service date. He bought it in July so this is too early.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I totally agree, I took my C70 in for service and they never said anything about mileage. One year, and get the oil change and service.
Today, my 2013 C70 has 28,000 miles on it and I just got the oil changed. This was the first time I had to reach in my pocket for service.
When I bought mine it had the safe and secure plan where it provided 5 year bumper to bumper, with free maintenance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts