SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,393 Posts
I questioned whether or not there may be potential contamination of the cat converter but was told not to worry that oil burning is not travelling out the exhaust.
So where exactly did he say the oil was going? If it's being burned it's coming out the exhaust!

I just am not in the mood of forking over $2Gs to those guys. Let the oil burning continue, funnel and oil jug in hand.
This is that I would do in your situation. Replacing the rings does NOT always solve this oil burning issue. It did not for me. A new engine was required. So this could be $2k down the drain.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
The oil ring gets gummed up and then stops doing its job, allowing oil to stay on the cylinder walls and thus be burned. The rings we put in are of a new design to prevent becoming sludged up, or so we are told. The updated oil specs are supposed to prevent sludging as well. That's also why the interval does not change to 10k miles.

I've done many of these. The oil ring is always full of sludge. If the rings didn't take care of it, I suspect either the cylinder wall became scored (which should have been checked for during the job) or perhaps there was a mistake made while replacing the rings (improper orientation or inadvertently cracking a ring and not noticing it.
That's very interesting. I wonder what mine looked like. I was doing 3750 mile oil change intervals with the scheduled ones (7500) done by the dealer. I can't imagine sludge being an issue with 7 quarts in the sump on that change interval. My car started burning oil at ~40k. Sometime close to 50k the rings were replaced but it was still burning oil after. They then installed a new engine and hasn't burned a drop since. In my case it seems like the rings just wore out prematurely and then took the cylinder walls with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.