SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for your replies - this is bothering me. I bought the Volvo with the plan of a long keeper, I maintain my cars and since I bought my first in 1976, I've had only 8, including my wife's.
I changed to full synthetic at the first service interval after purchase in 2014, at the recommendation of the dealer.
Since, I believe, Volvo replaces free any part replaced after purchase, if this breather box goes bad again, they would fix it free (a question to them).
Since my CPO ends this Spring, it will be before the next interval, which will be the end of the current oil consumption monitoring. In other words, I will be out of the CPO before the test is completed.
I'm thinking I should talk to the General Mgr of the dealer about all this, to determine what Volvo will do given certain possible turn of events, from excessive oil consumption to repeated need to replace the breather box, all after the CPO ends.
Am I thinking about this in the right way?
One more thing about me - I've been successful in the business I'm in by being honest with both suppliers and clients, so I'm inclined to avoid secret strategies in favor of putting cards on the table but keeping vigilant. (Trust but verify, I think he said.) Is this a good approach with the current Volvo organization?
Just keep taking it to the dealer. If you do that, Volvo will take care of you for this whether you are under CPO or out of CPO. I'm keeping my car for many many years since the replaced engine now has a lifetime warranty!

· Registered
250 Posts
According to the tech and the Volvo service advisor, the burnt oil is not travelling out the exhaust. I questioned that. Last thing I want is a fried cat converter. Tech said not to worry but just make sure to check oil dipstick and look for sensor. My engine has been consuming for the past 25K miles or so (when I caught it) but for all I know it could have been sooner. I'm vigilant over oil changes since I bought her at 31K I have at least 10 receipts. Sometimes even change it every 3-4K instead of 5K. If I do it after every 3K with just reg 5W30 I'm good since the oil burns at about 1 quart per 1K without having to worry about adding on my own.

Engine does not knock, it runs flawlessly..smooth powerful still. Dealer understood me not wanting me to pay 2Gs, so I'll try VCNA for the full 100% goodwill and call them soon.

That's good to know, I always get worried when techs work on the critical engine parts. Something about tampering with an engine that was designed, tested and sealed at the factory plant still troubles me. When the engineers designed these T5's I was told the tension of the rings were set that way for a specific purpose: fuel economy. Now that we see their calculations were inaccurate, I'm still ok with having to add a little oil or just getting the oil changed more frequently which is good for older, higher mileage engines like mine. There's a reason they want everyone paying $125 for full synthetic versus reg 5w30 jug.
Opinions are like assholes. I know you didn't take it to the dealer but there is a clear defect with these engines and Volvo does not want to do a recall. Just keep calling and going higher up. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If that doesn't work, threaten to file a lawsuit. That will probably get them to move but I would only do it as a last resort. All the evidence is on this forum that there is a problem.

· Registered
250 Posts
Sure, there is a problem. And if the car was under warranty, they would have to fix it. The fact is, the car is outside of warranty. They are under no obligation to fix it. And if you are just going to take your business elsewhere, why would they pay to fix it?

I've done many sets of rings outside of warranty for loyal customers. I've also seen a few people come in with no service history and expect to get the work done for free because they read about it on the internet. It doesn't usually end well for them.
I think the issue is that Volvo is selectively helping customers. I get that and it's good when they help people but I feel like they are penalizing people who don't. It would be one thing if these were anomalies, they happen. What you have here is a severe defect in workmanship. Other manufacturers did the same thing until they were hit with a class action and caved. Maybe that is what will ultimately have to happen here - who knows. It's a major screw up on Volvo's part and they should just voluntarily issue the recall.

· Registered
250 Posts
Yes, they are selectively helping customers. The key word there is customers.

Someone who just comes to the dealer for this with their car full of aftermarket parts and no service history is not a customer. Paying half the cost is pretty generous, since those people will likely never be back at a dealer for service again.

This is not a safety issue so I don't think you'll see a recall.
My advice to people not getting help is to contact a class action attorney. There is presedence. See here:
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...-consumption-class-action-lawsuit-settlement/

It's the only way Volvo will issue a recall. It's more than a blip and Volvo shouldn't be sticking people with crappy engines due to a defect that doesn't surface until the car is out of warranty. There is plenty of information to establish a pattern.

· Registered
250 Posts
I agree, it shouldn't be a fight when it is under warranty. There is a bulletin for it. If a car under warranty that the bulletin applies to comes in with low oil and there are no external leaks, the rings should be replaced.
I guess Volvo is perfectly fine with such shoddy workmanship that they can tell people they are SOL for an issue like this. I guess they don't really want those customers that may change their oil on their own or take it somewhere else. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I am sure Audi and Toyota felt the same way until there were some pretty upset people that found the right lawyers and then they caved.

· Registered
250 Posts
It isn't a workmanship issue. In some cases, it could actually be the owner didn't take the car to the dealership for the recall updating the oil specs. So they kept using the wrong oil, which made it worse.

I'm sure people will sue, that's the thing to do nowadays. I've seen Volvo help out many loyal customers. I've also seen them tell the guy who just bought his car on Craigslist a year ago and had some indy shop fix everything with aftermarket parts to go kick rocks.
Excuses excuses. You sound like one of those dealers I would want to avoid.

As a matter of fact, I was using the right oil. I got the recall updates. Didn't make a lick of difference. Needed a new engine. It is shoddy workmanship - no if's, and's, or but's about it. Thankfully Volvo took care of it, but if they didn't, they would have heard from my lawyer and I am sure they would have caved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.