SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What oil and air filter do you guys use in your R's? Are Napa Golds good to use in an R or should you stick with Volvo filters? Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just did mine a few days ago for the first time. Plan ahead and order one (the oil filter that is) off of the internet. There was only 1 availible in the south Seattle area. It was a Mobil 1 and it cost me $18.99. Filters can be had for under $8.00 on line. Try amazon. I would buy premium filter or OEM. Don't buy the cheapest one you can find.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Just go with the OEM oil filter. Should be about $11 plus tax at your local dealer. Very inexpensive.
As for the air filter, I have the K&N in my R.

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Is that oil ok for the car?
Yes, Castrol Euro 0W-30 is good for the car. Its one of Volvo's recommendations for the 2013 models. Just read a 2013 XC70 manual online...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I guess not every dealer's parts counter guy will or can do this but I always get oil filters for $7 or so. I just mention Tasca price or VolvoWholesaleParts price and I buy 3 or more. When I need an air filter and some other stuff I will look it up and get pricing online and then do the same. I don't ask for them to meet it, just that it sells for $xx can you get close.

The Wix or other reputable brand filters will be more than dealer OEM filter usually even if you don't get the dealer down to only 50% markup price. The national chain parts stores' house brand of dubious origin is usually $10 for Volvo cartridge filters with the known brands being $13.99 or more.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
WIX is fine, I've used them before and they are just rebranded MAHLE filters (same # and everything), OEM air filter is a good cheap option (go to www.rockauto.com and you can get the air filter cheaper I believe WIX air filter is only $18), Euro Castrol or Mobil 1 0w30 are good, cheap and easy to find oils locally. Do yourself a favor and order the 10pk oil filters from iPD.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went with the Mobil 1 0-30, just could not find the Castro 0-30. My start ups are quieter. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I use AMSOIL 10W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic w/OE Oil and Air filters.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm running a WIX & M1 5W-30 right now. I too have always heard WIX is good, but I'm thinking about just getting a case of OEM online because I always wonder when things will change and WIX will no longer be a reboxed Mahle... But then I'm a bit OCD

·
Registered
107 Posts
For oil I use motul 0W30 ester based or Redline 0W30 - great cold weather protection and I change it every 5000 miles because it is an easy interval to remember. However, any full synthetic oil will do as long as its a 30 or 40 weight. As for oil filters I use mobil 1 but really any one will do - I pick them up at pepboys or autozone. For an air filter i have a K&N and I have had no problems. One more tidbit on oil and oil filters because I am a little bit over protective of my car is that I use oil that is designed to be run for 7000 miles plus and filters that are designed to be run for up to 15000 miles. The reason if they can last 7000 and 15000 miles respectfully then they surely will make it to 5000 miles.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here's an old thread on covering a comparison of the different oil filters.

Oil filter shootout

Personally I would stick with OEM or Mahle (same same)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I was using the Castrol Euro 0W-30 and oem filter, but will be switching to Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series and the Mann filter on the next change. Reasone for the filter change is I just ordered them when I ordered the Amsoil. Mann, Mahle and OEM filters are all very similar I think. I run a K&N aire filter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Order a case of Mahle -OEM oil filters from IPD.
Yep Mahle from ipd, Mobil1 5W-30 year around for us up north. I read somewhere a long time ago that you can always go from fossil-based oils to synthetics, but once you have run synthetics for quite some time, you can't go back. Something about the effect the synthetic have on the rubber seals. Any one else hear this? Urban myth?

Chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts