SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says do not use engine oil additives. Any thoughts on this? I would think that as long as you don't overfill the crankcase.. it couldn't hurt. I see Lubromoly being sold on IPD.. anyone try it or any other additive with good results?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Well I'd love to blast you and call you an idiot for asking about something that the owner's manual says NOT TO USE..... I mean dude, it says DO NOT USE IT, so why use it? BUTTTTTTTTT the owner's manual also says t-belt at 120k, and you're an idiot if you wait that long.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I try to avoid most oil additives and stick to quality oils with good add packs. Most additives are basically a waste of money provide little benefit. Also additives can be harmful to your engine by damaging your rings or bearings from improper use, cause seals to swell and dry out over time (if there is a stop leak in it) or in the case of the ones designed to clean your motor clog your oil passages and cooler by loosening sludge and deposites. That being said additives that have a pretty good reputation are Marvel Mystrey Oil and Rislone both have been around forever. Seafoam also has a pretty decent reviews when added to the crank case but I have seen some people claim they had problems with clogged oil passages after on some other forums. Lastly I've never used lubermoly

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'd love to blast you and call you an idiot for asking about something that the owner's manual says NOT TO USE..... I mean dude, it says DO NOT USE IT, so why use it? BUTTTTTTTTT the owner's manual also says t-belt at 120k, and you're an idiot if you wait that long.
Awesome response! Thanks for sharing :rolleyes:

Just because a manual says not to do something doesn't mean it is inherently wrong for your car. I'm sure somewhere in there it says to follow all the traffic laws while operating your vehicle... how many people do that? It typically means "We haven't tested it so we're not covering it if you use it & something happens that MIGHT be related to using it". It's typical CYA. I'm sure Volvo doesn't recommend using Seafoam to clean out your engines & fuel system either... but plenty of people do it with good (if not amazing) results.

Tstats: Thanks for your response. That's the kind of info I was looking for. A lot of the oil additives (prolong & Z-Max) are a bunch of crap. But there are some out there that do seem to have some benefits. I started using STP oil treatments (red bottle) in my Plymouth when the oil manufactures started removing ZDDP from their formulas. The STP stuff had ZDDP @ 1800ppm. Great for flat tappet cams. I know that is for a car with 44 year old technology, which is why I don't use it in my cars w/ factory roller cams.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My logic is there are decades of engineering experience and testing that goes into our engines and if they say "don't" on something I "don"t". My thought with intervals like the t-belt and oil changes is it is ok and can't hurt to do things like that earlier than stated. My $.02.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts