SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to see a Q7 today - Audi have done a fantastic job inside and out (looks much better in the flesh). Seriously considering cancelling my T8 order and swapping over to the Q7.

Observations are:

- looks much better in the flesh - XC90 just about tops it
- interior is better finish in the S-line with upgraded seats just right balance between firm an soft (if you know what I mean)
- 'funkier' interior in Q7 a bit of a younger feel (although don't like the pop up screen)
- suspension and road presence made it feel like a smaller car - just pips the Volvo
- can't quite work out price for exact kit match but they are close
- much better (and cheaper) wheel choice on the Audi
- E-tron not out yet but from Internet sounds like more modern technology on Audi
- not a deal breaker but electric third row and steering column on the Audi
- the Volvo is not an Audi (which is a good thing in my book)

Overall it is a real close call but I think my partner prefers the Audi, decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm in the same boat, love the XC90 but a number of things are done better with the new Q7. We don't have them to try in the US yet. What was your impression of the ride quality between the two?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both on air suspension but the Audi was definitely more refined in both ride quality and handling.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just can't get past the looks of the new Q7. Sorry, but I think it's UGLY.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I just can't get past the looks of the new Q7. Sorry, but I think it's UGLY.
+1

Not even comparable T8 against regular Q7 IMO unless it's the Etron but then it's not a 7 seater!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have no idea why any recently redesigned vehicle uses a pop-up screen (there seem to be quite a few.) IMO it's just a terrible look and makes it seem like the screen was an afterthought (like adding a screen to a Mercedes G500 or similar.) Tesla and the XC90 are ideal layouts to me...

·
Registered
174 Posts
You forgot to mention the fact that the 3rd row is pretty useless unless you will fit toddlers there.
It is also uglier than sin itself from the front ,and almost as ugly from the back.

If I did not have to pay for it then maybe. I would consider it;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We initially looked at a 2016 Q7 (they have them over here in Germany) and then a 2016 Q5 before taking a look at the XC90. Ride quality on the Audi's were amazing. Truthfully, for us, it was almost a little to comfortable. While we don't want to ride in a rough riding vehicle, we do like to "feel" the road a little bit. Get a little feedback from the vehicle and it was just more fun to drive. The ride height was also higher in the XC90 which we liked. The XC90 4-cylinder beat the Audi V6 hands down. The Audi was adequate for a V6, but the power and the feel of the XC90 was amazing (especially when we were prepared to be underwhelmed by a 4 cylinder). Looks are a personal choice, but we thought the new Q7 looked a little to "wagony." The Q7 electronics were great, but again, we preferred the look and feel of the XC90's electronics. The final straw that broke the camel's back was the warranty. Audi's limited warranty was unimpressive. One more thing we "felt" along the way was the company's care for the customer. For us, it seems that Volvo cares for their customers more than Audi, or any car company that we've dealt with for that matter. Just our opinions. In the end, the Volvo won us over. Best of luck in your decision making. The Volvo and Audi are both excellent choices.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have no idea why any recently redesigned vehicle uses a pop-up screen (there seem to be quite a few.) IMO it's just a terrible look and makes it seem like the screen was an afterthought (like adding a screen to a Mercedes G500 or similar.) Tesla and the XC90 are ideal layouts to me...
The higher on the dash screen is a much more natural height for quick glancing at or maintaining peripheral vision on the road than the lower screen in the Volvo or the Tesla. BMW and several of the luxury brands are doing similar.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Audi Q7 looks outdated and it's not even released yet. The front is nice, but the rear is very oddly shaped, and the pop-up GPS looks very awkward. The 3rd row is just not as practical on the Q7 too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Agree on the third row - not got the same quality feel and space (but is electric ;-).

Looks wise I would have agreed until I saw Q7 in the flesh. Quite imposing and a great front end.

That pop-up screen could be better but the rest of the dash works well, sculpted and modern rather than the slab like feel of the XC90. Man, this is one hard, and expensive, decision...

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The Q7 comes with silver rims and pneumatic struts that makes the car rock. Its awesome... Some come with after market golden rims and you can easily make it a low rider and black out all the emblems and chrome and make al the windows black but the front ones... Yeeeaahhhh like a brotha from annotha mottha.

Do me a favour my friend... Don't get it, ...just stay with Volvo. Get a 2015.5 XC70 Classic... With a XC90-'16 you are not a real real Volvo driver in my opinion. Is has too much Chinese in it. But then again... Just an opinion in a democratic world. Is the 2015.5 also made in China???

XC70 2011 D5

·
Registered
47 Posts
Went to see a Q7 today - Audi have done a fantastic job inside and out (looks much better in the flesh). Seriously considering cancelling my T8 order and swapping over to the Q7.

Observations are:

- looks much better in the flesh - XC90 just about tops it
- interior is better finish in the S-line with upgraded seats just right balance between firm an soft (if you know what I mean)
- 'funkier' interior in Q7 a bit of a younger feel (although don't like the pop up screen)
- suspension and road presence made it feel like a smaller car - just pips the Volvo
- can't quite work out price for exact kit match but they are close
- much better (and cheaper) wheel choice on the Audi
- E-tron not out yet but from Internet sounds like more modern technology on Audi
- not a deal breaker but electric third row and steering column on the Audi
- the Volvo is not an Audi (which is a good thing in my book)

Overall it is a real close call but I think my partner prefers the Audi, decisions, decisions.
The Audi Q7 is only a 5 seater in hybrid. And it has way more options. If you compare a fully loaded xc90 to a fully loaded q7 it's about 30000 euro cheaper. Because options like the b&o system (6000 euro) and soft leather everywhere makes the audi expensive (16000 euro). But anyway we just didn't choose a q7 because we didn't like the styling of the exterior and it's combined with a diesel.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Brutus99 will the e-tron not be 7 seats? How do you know? That would make a difference.
The Q7 E-tron will be a 5-passenger car.

Plus, check Audi's official site:

http://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...imal-emissions-the-new-audi-q7-e-tron-3-0-tdi

Particularly, the paragraph titled "elegant design and top quality: the interior". They mention the "three rear seats" and nothing about a third row (you know they would be all over it, if a third row were present).

Another mention is the maximum cargo capacity, 73.3 cu ft; the XC90 has 85.5 cu ft.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Brutus99 will the e-tron not be 7 seats? How do you know? That would make a difference.
That's what I have read and others have posted the same thing. You might want to do more research if you are serious about it. But if you need a 7 seater then T8 is your only option if you want hybrid!

·
Registered
113 Posts
We initially looked at a 2016 Q7 (they have them over here in Germany) and then a 2016 Q5 before taking a look at the XC90. Ride quality on the Audi's were amazing. Truthfully, for us, it was almost a little to comfortable. While we don't want to ride in a rough riding vehicle, we do like to "feel" the road a little bit. Get a little feedback from the vehicle and it was just more fun to drive. The ride height was also higher in the XC90 which we liked. The XC90 4-cylinder beat the Audi V6 hands down. The Audi was adequate for a V6, but the power and the feel of the XC90 was amazing (especially when we were prepared to be underwhelmed by a 4 cylinder). Looks are a personal choice, but we thought the new Q7 looked a little to "wagony." The Q7 electronics were great, but again, we preferred the look and feel of the XC90's electronics. The final straw that broke the camel's back was the warranty. Audi's limited warranty was unimpressive. One more thing we "felt" along the way was the company's care for the customer. For us, it seems that Volvo cares for their customers more than Audi, or any car company that we've dealt with for that matter. Just our opinions. In the end, the Volvo won us over. Best of luck in your decision making. The Volvo and Audi are both excellent choices.
Can you please elaborate on you impression of the warranty difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I mean I think they're both great choices. Honestly, when you pay 60k + for an suv, it's going to be really nice. Neither car is going to be anything less than almost perfect on all fronts. Whatever the pricing is in the eu, it's hard for me to believe that the q7 won't be significantly more expensive than the xc90 when similarly equipped. Also, one thing that had me seriously considering waiting for a q7 before I bought my xc90 was the availability of a diesel v6 in the us and the accompanying power and gas mileage combo that Audi could deliver. Now I'm glad I didn't wait too long!!! If I had just sunk 70 grand into a car and then found out hat I was sold a bill of goods by a cheating company, I'd be pissed. Don't get me wrong, I think Audi and be still have a great product, but it's just an issue in thankful not to have to deal with.

1 - 20 of 393 Posts