SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been itching to change the oil in our newer 2019 we purchased. I was shocked to see the condition of the Firestone brand oil filter, with only a few thousand miles.

Needless to say, I installed a Mann brand filter and quality synthetic, but I am a bit saddened the prior owner was so clueless. I know she cared a lot about the car, but trusted Firestone way too much IMHO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry to see that, and I'm pretty confident that my first (soon!) oil change on my C70 will have the same result based on other maintenance that I've seen on the car.

·
Registered
647 Posts
WOW. Never seen a filter that bad in three decades of doing oil changes (and I have done a few cartridge-style, paper insert filters in a couple of cars, mostly a late '60s MB SL). It looks like it's more than a few thousand miles old - maybe they skipped the filter a few times because it is a bit of a pain to remove. It also does not look like the OEM filter, but it's hard to tell. Any visible lettering on it?

I'm fairly sure that Mann makes the Volvo OEM filter, so you can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
bet you're right re: them skipping the oil filter changes. it is a pain and if you're not familiar with p1 volvos, so i'm sure the barely trained techs just shrugged it off but probably still charged for it. very sad...but why i do my own oil changes. just ordered another batch of 4 mann filters a couple weeks ago. walmart's a great source for the 5 quart jugs of mobil1 for around $25.

WOW. Never seen a filter that bad in three decades of doing oil changes (and I have done a few cartridge-style, paper insert filters in a couple of cars, mostly a late '60s MB SL). It looks like it's more than a few thousand miles old - maybe they skipped the filter a few times because it is a bit of a pain to remove. It also does not look like the OEM filter, but it's hard to tell. Any visible lettering on it?

I'm fairly sure that Mann makes the Volvo OEM filter, so you can't go wrong with them.

·
Super Moderator
15,117 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
+1! I've never found it cheaper.

+1 agreed!

I use M1 0W-30 for my 2014 Rogue and 2005 Toyota Matrix XR, but I use M1 0W-40 for my 2012 Kia 2.0L Turbo Optima SX and German Castrol (GC) 0W-40 for my 2007 Volvo S80 (3.2L).
I get these all at Walmart in the 5qt jug for $23 for GC and $25 for M1. I use an OCI of ~5K and use MANN filters for the Volvo and Purolator PureOne filters for everything else.

I've also installed the Fumoto Qwik-valve oil plug replacements on several of my cars with excellent results. Very handy and reduces the mess when I change my own oil. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nasty filter picture. I agree with others, I don't think Firestone changed the filter. It would help if there are any MFG markings on the filter. I have never seen a cartridge filter with the walls deformed like your picture nor have I seen one this black.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crap

Nasty filter picture. I agree with others, I don't think Firestone changed the filter. It would help if there are any MFG markings on the filter. I have never seen a cartridge filter with the walls deformed like your picture nor have I seen one this black.
No brand identifier on the filter I could find. It had metal end caps and wimpy pleats. There was English writing, but just numbers and "made in USA"

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I've seen some SeaDoo 4 tec filter like that. Usally comes from running the wrong weight oil at colder temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts