SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back from 2 weeks vacation, to find my 2010 Volvo S80 battery completely dead. That's not so bad but it gets worse. I called my Volvo mechanic, and he said it's okay to jump it. So while I was at work, my wife got ambitious and jumped it, but I think she may have done it wrong, and now my volvo, which finally started, is not firing on all cylinders and will not go faster than 3mph.... and drives like it's going to die. I drove it around the block and put it back in it's parking space until tomorrow, at which time it is going to the volvo mechanic. I'm just dreading finding out how bad it is, and what the bill is going to be... for what started out as a simple dead battery. My first inclination was to call AAA and have them get it started.... but that rapidly changed into a do-it-yourself - it's just a dead battery. What might be wrong????? I am guessing it's all bad news....

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
It's impossible to diagnose without a VIDA scan. Anything we'd post here would be a guess without seeing the results of the VIDA scan. That's the first place you need to go. I wouldn't be too worried. It's probably something minor.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I appreciate your upbeat optimism. I'll just chill out and see what it is tomorrow, hopefully nothing serious, thank you.
These cars have failsafes in place to prevent damage from something like putting the jump leads on backwards or from over-voltage. There are large fuses, or fusable links which can blow to protect the expensive stuff if necessary, but I doubt that's even the case. I personally suspect that the battery drain was a symptom of whatever the other issue was, and jumping it had nothing to do with the problem. The other possibility I'm thinking of is that the battery is so weak, and the car is running off of the alternator only (which may also be failing) that it's not making enough power to create enough spark for the engine. Again, this is all speculation and guessing, and we'll find out once the car is scanned. A car can do a lot of wonky stuff when it has high or low voltage. When the alternator recently went bad in my XC90, it made almost every warning light come on, the climate control stop working, and the stereo started making horrible shrieking noises. A bad battery or alternator can reek all sorts of havoc. Again, don't worry. Just report back here with what they tell you, and we'll point you in the most cost effective direction to get your car back to 100%. :) If they give you some giant estimate, don't take it at face value. Ask here first, and we can give you some tips to get things done for less money.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
These cars have failsafes in place to prevent damage from something like putting the jump leads on backwards or from over-voltage. There are large fuses, or fusable links which can blow to protect the expensive stuff if necessary, but I doubt that's even the case. I personally suspect that the battery drain was a symptom of whatever the other issue was, and jumping it had nothing to do with the problem. The other possibility I'm thinking of is that the battery is so weak, and the car is running off of the alternator only (which may also be failing) that it's not making enough power to create enough spark for the engine. Again, this is all speculation and guessing, and we'll find out once the car is scanned. A car can do a lot of wonky stuff when it has high or low voltage. When the alternator recently went bad in my XC90, it made almost every warning light come on, the climate control stop working, and the stereo started making horrible shrieking noises. A bad battery or alternator can reek all sorts of havoc. Again, don't worry. Just report back here with what they tell you, and we'll point you in the most cost effective direction to get your car back to 100%. :) If they give you some giant estimate, don't take it at face value. Ask here first, and we can give you some tips to get things done for less money.
+1

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't even need to go to my mechanic. AAA came out, tested the battery, it was totally dead, could not be charged. I had tried trickle charging it overnight, and it didn't hold a charge. The Alternator was fine, the starter was fine. So I got a new battery from AAA with a 3 yr free replacement and another 3 years pro-rata. With taxes, that was about $175. After that battery was installed, my car ran perfect. So it must have been the under voltage from the other battery. Florida is hard on batteries. I was relieved to find it wasn't any damage or anything serious.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I didn't even need to go to my mechanic. AAA came out, tested the battery, it was totally dead, could not be charged. I had tried trickle charging it overnight, and it didn't hold a charge. The Alternator was fine, the starter was fine. So I got a new battery from AAA with a 3 yr free replacement and another 3 years pro-rata. With taxes, that was about $175. After that battery was installed, my car ran perfect. So it must have been the under voltage from the other battery. Florida is hard on batteries. I was relieved to find it wasn't any damage or anything serious.
Excellent! By chance, can you give us the model number/make of the battery you got installed by AAA?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts