SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been thinking about making a "oh crap" bag to stay in the trunk. What kind of tools would you put in the bag that could cover the most work if something went wrong? It's gotta fit in a normal tool bag. What are common tools(socket, wrenches, etc) for this car? Basically something you would take on a trip.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Things I always have with me but not all are necessary to have all the time:

1. Flashlight

2. Knife

3. Spare fuses and relays

4. A big flat head screwdriver for most hose clamps and a lot of other stuff.

5. A 3/8 drive metric short socket set and ratchet. Craftsmen makes a set that comes in its own little case but you have to buy a separate 19 mm socket for the wheels. I also keep a short 3/8 extension in the case.

6. Needle nose pliers for easy pulling of fuses and relays, also comes in handy for other things.

7. Portable air compressor that has gator clips to run it off of the car battery.

8. Tire plug kit which is kind of superfluous now that I have a full size spare.

9. 1 qt of oil

10. Basic code reader

If I'm going on a road trip I always take my jump pack as well.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I would buy a set of cheap tools that comes in a blow molded case where the tools all snap in, so it doesn't rattle. Go as big as you feel like carrying. Something like this, although I'd shop around for the perfect set:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apollo-95...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

A buddy of mine had one bigger than this and it just laid flat on the trunk floor, didn't rattle with his subwoofer, and came in handy more than a few times.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would be careful going with cheap tools, they cause more damage than good. Their sizes are not precise. for example, a 13mm socket won't fit properly and could strip the head. spend a little more. Go with Craftman tools.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I didn't even notice I linked Wal-Mart there. Yeah like I said, shop around. My buddy's set was a Husky set and it was pretty darn good.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I forgot two of the most important items: nitrile gloves and duct tape.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I usually have most of the stuff listed here. Also I typically carry my 1/2" breaker bar and 17mm socket since I have differnt lug bolts. Also a set of allen wrenches/torx, jumper cables, gorilla tape, bungee cords, ZIP TIES! cutters, a couple assorted wrench sizes, couple different types of pliers, screwdrivers, 1/4" ratchet and a set of sockets. If I'm going on a longer road trip/drive I'll bring more than that but that's a good start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts