SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from the wife this AM...The S-60 died in the middle of the road. I suspect a snapped timing belt. Car has 210K miles, replaced orig. at 110k miles and thought I'd change it again next vacation time (only 3 wks from now). Car spins over, but no compression. Got home too late to start pulling things, but "I've got a bad feeling....". A quick bit of looking shows me a yr 2000 2.4L NON_Turbo engine at a decent price...My S-60 is a Turbo/5 Spd manual rocket ship.....I can get the 2.4 fast and cheap...guy says it came out of an S70...some of those were the "Economy" engine??...I'm thinking about swapping out the turbo, etc from the dead engine onto the 2.4l "replacement" unit. Any comments, or things to watch for, etc? Many thanks in advance. Lost my 850 manual trans car last year to a T-bone collision just after pulling the engine and updating it, and miss it. Wife is wanting a new car, but in this economy, no chance, and Volvo doesn't offer a manual in the new models except for the C-70...heck, I'm looking at an S-80!! HELP!!

Derswede

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I wouldn't go that route, I'd buy a turbo engine from a 2001-2004 S60. You can get them for almost the same price and it's gonna make your life a lot easier.

Don't buy an S80 either.
;)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
So you have t5 or 2.4t?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oh dude, if you had gone from a t5 to a 2.4t you would have been very disappointed. Considering, the T5 is a high Pressure Turbo, while the 2.4t is build for low pressure only.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Well you can che h the engine and see whats the main problem and start from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you can che h the engine and see whats the main problem and start from there.
Hmmm...where do I start? Busted valves, damaged head, so a time-consuming teardwon and rebuild are in order on that engine. And, as usual, none of the local "pullit" places have an engine. I'm assuming any T-5 from around 2000 to 2004 should work without too many mods. Any cautions on that would be appreciated. A teardown and rebuild may eventually happen, but I've got some severe time limits as well, so thus the reason for looking at the replacement motor.
Derswede

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh dude, if you had gone from a t5 to a 2.4t you would have been very disappointed. Considering, the T5 is a high Pressure Turbo, while the 2.4t is build for low pressure only.
Thanks, BI2UTAL, thanks, that was the data I needed. Love the raw accel of the car, and that engine popped up first in a search for a fair price ($750), so it caught first interest.

Derswede

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, Krap...lunched water pump (Replaced 1.5 yrs ago at TB change), threw off the TB and so bent valves. Local Volvo guy will look at it once it is off and either quote a rebuild or see if he can find me a new head or engine...hmmm....an "R" engine would be nice! (grin). Belt actually slipped by the water pump pulley and the cover..one of these days I'm going to catch up with Murphy and beat the crap out of him. (Murphy's law....)...in the middle of the worst quarter I've had in years....

Derswede (now drinking Brennavin aka "Black Death")

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Hmmm...where do I start? Busted valves, damaged head, so a time-consuming teardwon and rebuild are in order on that engine. And, as usual, none of the local "pullit" places have an engine. I'm assuming any T-5 from around 2000 to 2004 should work without too many mods. Any cautions on that would be appreciated. A teardown and rebuild may eventually happen, but I've got some severe time limits as well, so thus the reason for looking at the replacement motor.
Derswede
2001-2004 like previously suggested. 2.3L t5 engine. What part of north carolina are you in? If Atlanta isn't to far of a drive, i'm sure you could load up a uhaul full of t5 engines from there......

www.car-part.com

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
never hear of that site!!! holy smokes 650 for a engine? lol.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
... I have a 2005 R motor up in PA if you feel like taking a trip :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... I have a 2005 R motor up in PA if you feel like taking a trip :p
AThruC, thanks for the offer! I'd have to stop in Philly to visit the wife's family (and I mean Family....) all good old Italians who don't approve of me. Her uncle, Guido, does worry me (well "connected", if you get my drift). If the local engine doesn't pan out, I'll get in touch with you. PM me with your asking price and engine info, if you don't mind. A friend here who does Volvos may be interested. Interestingly, my car, tho it says T-5 on it, has the B5234T engine in it. I found another B5234T in a Turbo V70 so it seems (according to my research) that it will work. 48K on it as well! Will get the price tomorrow. Hope it is good! Got to get a car on the road for the wife.

Derswede

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
b5234t = benzene(gas), 5 cyl, 2.3L, 4 valves/cylinder, turbo = HPT/T5 engine :thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
b5234t = benzene(gas), 5 cyl, 2.3L, 4 valves/cylinder, turbo = HPT/T5 engine :thumbup:
Thanks, Impulse....now to borrow the lift back from my brother, pull the busted engine, go to the guy's garage, pull the good engine, install in the S-60 and see how she goes. After that, may apply at Nascar for a mechanics position. Learned to drive on Charlotte Motor Speedway, it would be fun to take the Volvo there for a few laps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the head is off...4 bent valves, and no busted pistons. Awaiting a call from the owner of a shop that has a couple of B5234T engines to see my final cost. Heck, I may just play with the busted one and build it up some. Didn't have enough impact on the pistons to compromise the con rods, so I'll assume the block is good. Might be fun to build one up, find a manual 5 spd. car here and stuff it into it. Should run like a scalded dog....

Derswede

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Well, the head is off...4 bent valves, and no busted pistons. Awaiting a call from the owner of a shop that has a couple of B5234T engines to see my final cost. Heck, I may just play with the busted one and build it up some. Didn't have enough impact on the pistons to compromise the con rods, so I'll assume the block is good. Might be fun to build one up, find a manual 5 spd. car here and stuff it into it. Should run like a scalded dog....

Derswede
How do you know the pistons are ok? You need to remove them to confirm. One thing is looking the surface and other is the walls. I hope you just need the valves

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Volvo 60t5x, I don't know,....one reason I'm pondering a full engine swap. Found a C70 with a bad trans (auto) and am awaiting the VIN to confirm which engine.....I can get the whole car cheaper than a replacement engine. Lots of S70 engines around but all are 200K plus....so a rebuild is in the works no matter what. Just got to get the car back on the road before the wife kills me or spends $$ I don't have on a new car. With an engine swap, I can take my time, rebuild the T5 and go for more performance. JUST MISSED an '02 S-60 with manual for $1900!! Coulda made a "Mini-R" out of it.

Derswede

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BEEP!! The bloody engine is a B5254 engine, not the T-5. Hey, anyone know if it would work as a longblock/head exchange with the T5 turbo?? My local Volvo guy thinks he's got a lead on a low mileage T-5 engine....that is the one I'm waiting for. Head goes off Monday to see if it is useable...

Ah, such fun. Think I'm going to get the wife a beater just so I can get my truck back....heh...from a Volvo to a Saturn....that sux!

Derswede

1 - 20 of 25 Posts