SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. After searching, I've come up dry.

I recently ordered some 18x8.5 et 40 (all corners) wheels (don't ask!) and am already considering spacers.

I want the fronts to sit flush and the rears to poke very, very slightly (maybe 1-5 mm, tops).

Any help would be fantastic. I'm starting to think a final offset of 30-35 would be exactly what I want, but am not sure.

I'll be running 225/40/18s (subtle stretch--enough to not be square).

I'm not afraid to pull/roll fenders if necessary.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a few more calculations, it seems like I might be looking at a final offset of 35mm up front and... 20mm (?!?!) in the rear.

These are based upon Jessica's fitment (which I love): 18x8.5 et 35 up front and 18x9.5 et 32 in the rear.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
8.5 on 40, you are probably already flush in the front.

225 on 8.5 will be a stretch. A piece of advice, not all tires are the same so if you pick tires with a square profile you'll probably hit the fender, this is especially true if you are lowered as well. Rolling the fender won't do much in the front (there isn't much to roll). You can always pull the fender of course (I wouldn't do it). The sporty tires often have a more rounded profile. It's not great for having flushed tires but it's great for performance. It reduces the tire side wall height appearance as well.

As for the rear, well some others with more aggressive setup to the rear will tell you . . . I'm 18x8 on 45 so I'm definitely not flush on my rear wheel setup. To be flush to the outside I probably would have to go about 1/2" or 10mm.

It's too bad you aren't using wider tires to take advantage of your 8.5 . . . especially on the rear. That said I'm not sure of inner clearances with wider tires.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
After a few more calculations, it seems like I might be looking at a final offset of 35mm up front and... 20mm (?!?!) in the rear.

These are based upon Jessica's fitment (which I love): 18x8.5 et 35 up front and 18x9.5 et 32 in the rear.

Thoughts?
I didn't think she had 8.5 et 35. I thought she had 8 et 35 but I could be very wrong...

edit:
I take it back... that's her setup (as you said :p)
Front: 18 x 8.5 ET 35 & 215/40/18
Rear: 18 x 9.5 ET 32 & 225/40/18

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, 8.5 with Et40 is pretty flush up front. 225s on a 8.5" don't really be streched much. I've got a lower sidewall percentage having 19"s but you don't see much of a stretch.

Rims: ET40, 8.5x19" and tyres: 225/35 R19.

Depending on tire manufacturer, the width can be different too. In the picture shown, my tyres are Kumho KU31s. My new front tyres are Kumho KU39s. These seem to be wider (even though the same size).

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
With 8.5's 30's offsets will be flush and very legit, will require some work to fit but the fitment would look amazing. 40's will put u on the safe side however which can easily be tweaked so slightly with spacers.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Fitment thieves lol. :p

8.5 @ ET35 will put you outside of the fender for sure. Even without tires, upon tes fit the wheels sat visibly beyond the fender edge, ET40 should have you sitting flush. ET20 in the rear might give you a few issues till you do some fender work.

PM me if you need any specific pics :)

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Go lower with camber plates and ul be good to go :p

The guy that bought my HRE which were 19x8.5 +38 said the fronts sat great on his C30 even with 235's which surprised me.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies folks.

Based upon everyone's input, I'm starting to think I might go with a final offset of 35-40 up front and 30 in the rear running 225/40s.

I'm so low in the front that I'm worried if I run 30 up front I won't be able to turn lock to lock without some serious rubbing.

What do we think?

Also, what tires will give me a really nicely rounded look at that size? My current tires are very square and beefy (Goodyear Eagle GT 215/45s) but I want something round. I had been considering Nitto NT05s but am completely open to suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
if you're going to do 225/40s, try to find a set of falken ziex 512s. I don't know if you can find them on discounttiredirect.com anymore but i know they've been selling them on ebay in that size. you'll be much happier with the extra clearance they'll provide.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeah I'll second that. The Falken Ziez are IMO, the best tires to stretch. They're reasonably priced too.

My Hankooks (Ventus V12) stretched well also if you're looking for an alternative that's a better performing tire.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Currently I am running 8" TD's with 40mm offset on 235/40/18's on 5mm spacers in front, 15mm spacers in rear, mega clearance to strut housing in front and rear inner clearance. With spacers I extend 23mm in front and 56mm in rear currently. The rears rub with heavy load, I need to get them rolled. I have been fussing with this for a while, I plan on running 8.5" fronts ET 45, I'll lose 6mm inner clearance and extend 20mm, pretty much flush, close to what I have now in front, with a 5mm spacer, doable and perfect. On the rears with 9.5" rims ET 35 I'll lose 8mm clearance on inside, again 5mm spacers, and extend 42mm plus 5mm for spacer, less than the 56mm I now extend. I'll run 235/40/18's in front 265/35/18's in rear. Now I just have to pick some forged wheels,lol. Too many options.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im thinking of 18 / 8.5 et 38
Is tyre sitting flush with rear fender with this setup?
Do i need to roll fenders?
What would be good setup for tyres?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can post some pics tomorrow, or you can see it on the What does your car look like right now thread, but I have 18x8 +38 all the way around with 255/35-18 nitto motivo all the way around. I had to roll all 4 fenders. But you can see how they sit.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have 235 tires on 8 wide with 38 ET

Front is maxed out. 1mm more and I'm sure the damage would've been substantial... I only rubber a little the fender liner a bit on the outside.

Rear I have 10mm spacers and have some room for another 5mm I'd say, maaaybe 10.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
873 Posts
Im thinking of 18 / 8.5 et 38
Is tyre sitting flush with rear fender with this setup?
Do i need to roll fenders?
What would be good setup for tyres?
Front will NOT fit unless you have stretched tires. 8.5 is 6mm more than mine but if you pit 225 maybe the 5mm less of rubber will compensate enough.

Depends also how low you are. I have zero wheel gap on mine.

Rear no problem with rolled fenders. The fenders are like 25 mm wide so you will have to roll.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Madden I guess maybe our cars have very different tire width or our car fenders are different.

There is no way I could run a 5mm spacer, not even 3mm in front. And you run 235s like me on a 40 offset with a spacer (me 38 no spacer).

·
Registered
18 Posts
hmm..
it sounds that i need to give up offset 38 and go with 40 or 45.
Maybe its easyer to use spacers to get results that i want. Its important that rim wont push out too much, not because of you rub but finnish vehicle inspection.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts