SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject line says it all. I think it would be really fascinating to learn how the XC90's safety systems helped avoid an accident while you were driving, or at least, if there was an accident, helped to mitigate it. While I assume -- and sincerely hope -- that not too many people here can answer the latter, I would suspect there's enough ownership hours by now to build a fairly good set of data points for the former.

I suggest perhaps the following format, with an explicit focus on the active safety mechanisms like, e.g., the emergency autonomous braking system implemented with City Safe, ACC, Pilot Assist, T-bone intersection avoidance, etc.

SCENARIO: briefly set the stage, and in a few sentences, describe what happened

ACTIVE SAFETY TECH USED: ACC emergency braked? Pilot Assist? LKA intervention? T-bone intersection emergency braking? Rear-end emergency brake application? Etc.

EFFICACY OF TECH: In a word, how'd it do? What result?

I think this will be an incredibly useful survey, so I'd suggest that the moderators make this sticky. The fact is, I think I speak for many -- if not all? -- of us, both owners and prospective owners alike, when I say that a huge -- if not the biggest -- selling point of the XC90 is it's safety systems, both passive and active alike.

So let's see how awesome these systems are in the real world!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Well, I am sure there are a few different ways you can experience it but I have gone through it violently and mildly.

Once, I was behind a car and following it quite close when he started to make a right turn while I was going to continue straight; he changed his mind, slammed his brakes and prepared to turn a little to the left and continue straight. I would have probably hit my brakes and could have just tapped him but City Safety took over and really jammed the brakes. Seat belt tightened and the car came to an abrupt halt. This was in an XC60 R-design.

The mild experience happened at about 75 mph as I was switching lanes; as I was already committed to the lane change, the car in front of me (and to the right) decided to brake; there, I experienced the sophistication of this system. Had it hit the brakes really hard, to avoid an impeding collision, I could have been in trouble with the car to my left or whoever was behind me. It just lit up the warning, "screamed" at me and just gave me a tug on the brakes, enough to just slow me down a tiny bit but not enough to prevent me from executing the lane change I had already initiated. This was in an XC90 T6 Inscription.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well, I am sure there are a few different ways you can experience it but I have gone through it violently and mildly.

Once, I was behind a car and following it quite close when he started to make a right turn while I was going to continue straight; he changed his mind, slammed his brakes and prepared to turn a little to the left and continue straight. I would have probably hit my brakes and could have just tapped him but City Safety took over and really jammed the brakes. Seat belt tightened and the car came to an abrupt halt. This was in an XC60 R-design.

The mild experience happened at about 75 mph as I was switching lanes; as I was already committed to the lane change, the car in front of me (and to the right) decided to brake; there, I experienced the sophistication of this system. Had it hit the brakes really hard, to avoid an impeding collision, I could have been in trouble with the car to my left or whoever was behind me. It just lit up the warning, "screamed" at me and just gave me a tug on the brakes, enough to just slow me down a tiny bit but not enough to prevent me from executing the lane change I had already initiated. This was in an XC90 T6 Inscription.
Thanks GV! This is an awesome, and frankly, compelling story to kick things off. Granted, it was an XC60 rather than the new XC90, but on the other hand, if an older Volvo is capable of this, then the new one should be even better!

Any chance we can get this sticky'd?

Any body else? Chime in!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I think this will be an incredibly useful survey, so I'd suggest that the moderators make this sticky. The fact is, I think I speak for many -- if not all? -- of us, both owners and prospective owners alike, when I say that a huge -- if not the biggest -- selling point of the XC90 is it's safety systems, both passive and active alike.

So let's see how awesome these systems are in the real world!
Not to detract from this survey, but the IIHS has done a number of studies on the effectiveness of forward collision systems. Here's the latest, which includes links to the earlier studies: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...tion-slashes-police-reported-rear-end-crashes

The first generation low-speed City Safety Safety system on the XC60 and S60 reduces rear-end collisions by 41%, overall, and those involving injuries by 47%. "The study vehicles had a version of City Safety that works at speeds up to 19 mph. (A newer version works at speeds up to 30 mph.)"

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to detract from this survey, but the IIHS has done a number of studies on the effectiveness of forward collision systems. Here's the latest, which includes links to the earlier studies: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...tion-slashes-police-reported-rear-end-crashes

The first generation low-speed City Safety Safety system on the XC60 and S60 reduces rear-end collisions by 41%, overall, and those involving injuries by 47%. "The study vehicles had a version of City Safety that works at speeds up to 19 mph. (A newer version works at speeds up to 30 mph.)"
Thanks Calhon, yes I'd seen these as well. But as we all know, nothing compares with real life owners' stories like from those whom we trust on this board. :) I'm surprised a bunch of people haven't chimed in yet, honestly....

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I'm surprised a bunch of people haven't chimed in yet, honestly....
These safety measures are not employed frequently. Most people, here, have not had their cars for more than 7 months. I am sure, as more XC90s are sold, more cases will be documented. Plus, this forum represents a minute fraction of all XC90 owners.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These safety measures are not employed frequently. Most people, here, have not had their cars for more than 7 months. I am sure, as more XC90s are sold, more cases will be documented. Plus, this forum represents a minute fraction of all XC90 owners.
Valid. Still, I could see it being very useful, very frequently, in towns/cities with lots of stop-n-go traffic, especially where people are kind of half asleep. Like our town. :) (My wife's new beetle was in fact rear-ended a few months ago.) But you're right, of course, it will take time for some testimonials to trickle in... and frankly, when they do, I'm sure Volvo will love to tap this as a validating resource ;)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
A little testimonial that anti-collision works on the XC60. I going eastbound out the mountains on Hwy 285, exiting on a circular 270 degree ramp to take Northbound on C470, the loop road around Denver. The good news is that when you come off that circular ramp, C470 adds a third lane, so there's no need for a hard acceleration to merge--even though I accelerate hard anyway---but the bad news is that people are exiting from the middle lane in front of you, and slowing down, because the exit ramp is not high speed, and you must slow to about 35 mph to safely make the exit ramp. So I'm coming onto C470, and someone cuts in front of me, while I'm accelerating hard, and he's slowing fast to make the low-speed exit. Well, the anti-collision warning screamed bloody murder at this situation, but since I had cleared the traffic in the middle lane, with the help of BLIS :), I knew it was going to be OK. All I had to do was just turn the wheel to go left into the middle lane, and the anti-collision warning stopped immediately. Great demo about how Volvo anti-collision systems will "let go" if you take action.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So my wife just called me and yells into the phone. THIS CAR BRAKES FOR YOU!!!

Apparently car in front slammed brakes to avoid a small animal of some sort running through the street.

Though she maintains she would've reacted fast enough to stop in time, she was thoroughly impressed with the automatic braking from the XC90. Just had to share.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Silly question but does my vehicle have the the auto braking/front collision protection feature?

***Model and Option info in my signature***

Thx.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I've owned the MY2012 XC70 T6 (had the Technology Package option) and since first driving it starting in Mar 2012 I have to say the auto braking feature has saved me at least 3 times from possible contact with a car in front of me. It has also stopped me from hitting a wall in a parking lot.

In my XC70 which was traded in for the 2016 XC90 T6 recently the red "scream" in the HUD really does get your attention in a hurry and gives you the chance to brake yourself or if not done the car will do it for you.

It's so very easy to be distracted at the worst possible time and find yourself in imminent danger of colliding with something in front of you. The red "scream" will get your attention in a hurry so you can ignore the distraction and take control of the situation.

There have been times when for whatever reason I've been traveling to fast and closing the distance too rapidly between my car and the car in front and having the car warn me with the red "scream" telling me of the dangerous situation I was facing. In these cases I believe the Volvo safety features have saved me from embarrassing collisions. I would not now ever own a car without this sort of driving aid.

The BLISS system has also alerted me several times and stopped me from making a lane change and potentially colliding with a car in my blind spot.

As an aside, I really like how the/our XC90 T6 warns me with a red line on the side of the car's silhouette in center screen when I'm close or too close to the walls on either side of my circular driveway. This aspect is especially useful for my wife who has in the past got too close and scraped the car's body panel badly as she turns the car through the driveway. The overhead 360º camera view is also useful in this situation.

Fingers crossed, we've not had an accident in our Volvos except for one crazy red pickup that careened across us and tore off the front of our MY2003 XC70 from the passenger side front wheel well and kept going trailing our body panels with it. Thank goodness the police station was but 1/4 mile away.

You cannot account for crazy drivers no matter how much Volvo safety features you have on board.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've owned the MY2012 XC70 T6 (had the Technology Package option) and since first driving it starting in Mar 2012 I have to say the auto braking feature has saved me at least 3 times from possible contact with a car in front of me. It has also stopped me from hitting a wall in a parking lot.

In my XC70 which was traded in for the 2016 XC90 T6 recently the red "scream" in the HUD really does get your attention in a hurry and gives you the chance to brake yourself or if not done the car will do it for you.

It's so very easy to be distracted at the worst possible time and find yourself in imminent danger of colliding with something in front of you. The red "scream" will get your attention in a hurry so you can ignore the distraction and take control of the situation.

There have been times when for whatever reason I've been traveling to fast and closing the distance too rapidly between my car and the car in front and having the car warn me with the red "scream" telling me of the dangerous situation I was facing. In these cases I believe the Volvo safety features have saved me from embarrassing collisions. I would not now ever own a car without this sort of driving aid.

The BLISS system has also alerted me several times and stopped me from making a lane change and potentially colliding with a car in my blind spot.

As an aside, I really like how the/our XC90 T6 warns me with a red line on the side of the car's silhouette in center screen when I'm close or too close to the walls on either side of my circular driveway. This aspect is especially useful for my wife who has in the past got too close and scraped the car's body panel badly as she turns the car through the driveway. The overhead 360º camera view is also useful in this situation.

Fingers crossed, we've not had an accident in our Volvos except for one crazy red pickup that careened across us and tore off the front of our MY2003 XC70 from the passenger side front wheel well and kept going trailing our body panels with it. Thank goodness the police station was but 1/4 mile away.

You cannot account for crazy drivers no matter how much Volvo safety features you have on board.
Wow, awesome. A few questions:

1. What is the "red scream?" :) Sounds .... awesome.

2. So the lane change system actively pulls the car back to avoid a collision?

3. "Walls on circular driveway" ... huh?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This thread is going to Grow like no other. The stories are countless. Pictures would be relevant if possible
I certainly hope so. :)

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
The red "scream" is the horizontal red bar that flashes in the windshields Heads Up Display (HUD). The red "scream" is just that.... it flashes red and the car's alert sound is loud and noticeable. I don't know when this feature was first made available but I believe it was part and parcel of my MY2012 XC70 T6's Technology Package.

Yes, our circular driveway has a center section that is filled with trees and bushes and is surrounded by pebbled concrete to hold all the earth in place. It's not perfectly rectangular and at its two inside corners has insets that if not aware of can cause you to turn the car too sharply and cause you to scrape the side of the car. I always take a wide turn but my wife with less experience one time got confused how to turn the car and made a sharp turn and scraped the car's side badly.... leading to some $4,500 of repair costs covered by Insurance less $150 deductible.

The BLISS alert only warns you there's an object (presumably a car) in the car's/driver's blind spot. It does not cause the car to keep/stay in its lane when this is detected. The driver simply can use this BLISS alert to be aware of something in the 'blind spot' and drive accordingly.

Anyone not ever seeing and hearing the red "scream" needs to experiment as best they can to experience this. One way to do this would be to find a quiet road or an unused parking lot area and place some vertical cardboard boxes some 6-feet high to represent, say pedestrians. Now line the car up with this boxes and steer the car straight at them at around 15 to 20 mph. As you approach the boxes do not let up on the accelerator pedal. As you approach the boxes (maybe 10 to 15 feet away from them) you will get the red "scream" along with the alert sound and the car will brake severely until the car is almost stopped and then the brake pressure will be released.

When the XC60 first came out my dealership ran a similar experiment for potential XC60 customers along with having some Volvo reps there to help explain how it all worked. I happily obliged and drove the XC60 to experience this safety feature.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is ironic. There is another thread called "Front end collisions" on the front page of this forum discussing how the Volvo safety features didn't assist in stopping a collision. I'd link it but don't know how.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts