SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by my Volvo Sweden contact (who works directly on the software development) that the new software will be available from November 23 (that is week 48). It will include CarPlay.

I just made my dealer appointment for November 25 to get the update (I wasn't available the 23rd-24th).

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think it's important that we all have realistic expectations about this update. As much as I'd love for every bug to be fixed, I highly doubt that will be the case.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have been told by my Volvo Sweden contact (who works directly on the software development) that the new software will be available from November 23 (that is week 48). It will include CarPlay.

I just made my dealer appointment for November 25 to get the update (I wasn't available the 23rd-24th).
It is no competition but I remember writing that the update was scheduled for the last week in November. From what I know, and since they have put it off once I hope they put it off again until they have it right, and I understand they are pushing to get out CarPlay, which I do not want.

Personally, I will not be in a rush to get the update until I learn how it works and whether they plan what will likely be a needed follow on or more fixes.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Unlike an operating system, the problems are in a well defined state space, so assuming they've recreated all reported problems and verified their solutions, shouldn't be too many items that fall out or aren't fully flushed.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Unlike an operating system, the problems are in a well defined state space, so assuming they've recreated all reported problems and verified their solutions, shouldn't be too many items that fall out or aren't fully flushed.
If they can do one software update, they can do multiple. Presumably there will be ongoing software upgrades to fix various issues as people go in for maintenance? Or is volvo going to stop supporting the car going forward?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

The software update and CarPlay are two different entities even if they will be available at the same time.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Hello - Can you please check with your Volvo Sweden contact on when Volvo will release the Android Auto software for the XC90

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Hello - Can you please check with your Volvo Sweden contact on when Volvo will release the Android Auto software for the XC90

Nothing more then next year has been stated thus far.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Spring 2016

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
If this software update includes the ability of over the air updates, they would be able to fix any new/existing remaining bugs that way. Much like tesla does

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't understand this line of thinking at all. What do you know that makes you think they should put it off again?
No one here knows anything -- everyone just knows what they have been told or what they have heard. I have heard that it is not done and the two week delay gives some support to that. We will only know something when the update finally arrives. Software is funny and I am not in a hurry to have something I don't know about loaded into my SUV. If the update arrives as promised and if reports after two or three weeks are positive I'll have it installed.

The reports are that this update will facilitate over the air updates and we can all hope that this is true and that it works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anybody heard new news on the major update that is possibly being released next week? My dealer has not heard about its release.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yes, the Courtesy Service will launch in North America, Europe and China on November 23. Other markets will join in successive weeks, this is related to the map update release times as they must be done at the same time. Last markets to launch will be on December 7. Apple Car Play will be available in all markets except China, which is delayed until Spring 2016. As Grecian indicated above, while the Courtesy Service is required to load Apple Car Play, they are separate software products.

Latest info (Sorry Grecian) is that Android Auto will first be available this time next year, i.e. week 46 of 2016.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, the Courtesy Service will launch in North America, Europe and China on November 23. Other markets will join in successive weeks, this is related to the map update release times as they must be done at the same time. Last markets to launch will be on December 7. Apple Car Play will be available in all markets except China, which is delayed until Spring 2016. As Grecian indicated above, while the Courtesy Service is required to load Apple Car Play, they are separate software products.

Latest info (Sorry Grecian) is that Android Auto will first be available this time next year, i.e. week 46 of 2016.
Wow, that is a major delay in Android Auto -- it would be 18 months into the product line.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Wow, that is a major delay in Android Auto -- it would be 18 months into the product line.
+1 I'm surprised will take this long! I'm sure there's more Android users than Apple users lol :D

1 - 20 of 267 Posts