SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard back today from the contact I've had at Volvo Cars USA, regarding the counts on US-spec Ocean Races.

2018:
41 total for USA
2 currently owned by VCUS
7 with integrated booster seats

2019:
43 total for USA
2 currently owned by VCUS
9 still on dealer lots (as of 5/30/19)
1 with integrated booster seats

The reason for the booster seats stat is because that 1 of 1 for 2019 is ours and it was a bit of an ordeal to get it built, but Volvo Cars USA stepped up to make it happen. The note from my contact was "Your car is the only 2019 with a booster seat in the US. Could be the only one globally but we cannot see their specs." So, would be curious to hear from some owners in other markets if they have a 2019 VOR with booster seats.

I also thought ours would end up being the last US-spec built, but not quite. It was 3rd to last. Also from them, "Last car produced for US 4/9/2019, your car was produced on 4/5/2019 - 3rd from last for US"

Anyway, thought I'd share with other owners.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can you get V90 numbers for 18'/19'? I'd be curious to see what the T5/T6 split is along with the Inscription/R-Design percentage. And more selfishly I'd be curious as to the date of the last V90 for the US. Mine was built toward the end of the 2019's and would be cool to know how close to the last it was.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you get V90 numbers for 18'/19'? I'd be curious to see what the T5/T6 split is along with the Inscription/R-Design percentage. And more selfishly I'd be curious as to the date of the last V90 for the US. Mine was built toward the end of the 2019's and would be cool to know how close to the last it was.
The person that gave me these, is higher up and I don't want to bother him with a bunch of stat requests. He was kind enough to supply me with these, and I now wish I had thought to also ask for the black vs blond interior split, but oh, well.

Also, the V90 isn't discontinued, you can order a 2020, or did you just mean last of the 2019s?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The person that gave me these, is higher up and I don't want to bother him with a bunch of stat requests. He was kind enough to supply me with these, and I now wish I had thought to also ask for the black vs blond interior split, but oh, well.

Also, the V90 isn't discontinued, you can order a 2020, or did you just mean last of the 2019s?
I totally get that. Awesome you were able to get the info you did. Very cool.

Wasn't implying it was discontinued. Mine was built 4/23 which was the Tuesday of week 17. I know it was one of the last 2019's. Was just curious as to how last since that is the cut-over week to the 2020's.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So 41 and 43 total for US and 12 Canada 2018 (not sure 2019 has been available). Those are rare!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
So if T8 was offered, it could have sold well more than 43. Why they still think T8 is not significant enough?

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
So if T8 was offered, it could have sold well more than 43. Why they still think T8 is not significant enough?

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
Because even double that is pretty much a rounding error and would not offset the federalization costs - just a hunch.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because even double that is pretty much a rounding error and would not offset the federalization costs - just a hunch.
I agree, though I think the mistake was in bringing the T8 S90, instead of a T8 V90 (or V90cc). I'm sure they did their market research, but it kind of seems like the demographics that might be interested in a wagon of sorts, are also the people that would be highly conscious about fuel economy and the environment.

Also, I'm not familiar enough with the process to know if Volvo would even need to do a completely separate demonstration for what's really just sedan and wagon versions of the same car.

I also think had they made the VOR version a T8 it would have blended well with their marketing around it as "green" car in a more meaningful way than recycled floor mats.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm out of my 2018 V90 T6 CC at this point, but I can say with 100% certainty that had the T8 been available I would've had one instead of the T6.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm out of my 2018 V90 T6 CC at this point, but I can say with 100% certainty that had the T8 been available I would've had one instead of the T6.

I also would most likely have a V90 Cross Country now if it were a plug-in version. I wish they'd make a T8 version of the Cross Country wagon with a 15- or 20-kWh battery pack; I'd be willing to give up some of that voluminous cargo space for extra battery pack and electric motors. They did it in the V60, so there's no reason why they can't do it in the V90 Cross Country and the V60 Cross Country. I guess that they figure the expense in production won't be worth the limited return from buying customers. It's also sad that Volvo seems not to be bringing the V60 regular wagon in T8 form to America, even though it's selling them in Europe; I'm assuming you can't even get them via OSD or special order in America. Are the regulations for American cars so very different from the European regulations that they can't be shipped to America? Europe sure has more rigorous emissions regulations now than America does.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also would most likely have a V90 Cross Country now if it were a plug-in version. I wish they'd make a T8 version of the Cross Country wagon with a 15- or 20-kWh battery pack; I'd be willing to give up some of that voluminous cargo space for extra battery pack and electric motors. They did it in the V60, so there's no reason why they can't do it in the V90 Cross Country and the V60 Cross Country. I guess that they figure the expense in production won't be worth the limited return from buying customers. It's also sad that Volvo seems not to be bringing the V60 regular wagon in T8 form to America, even though it's selling them in Europe; I'm assuming you can't even get them via OSD or special order in America. Are the regulations for American cars so very different from the European regulations that they can't be shipped to America? Europe sure has more rigorous emissions regulations now than America does.
The 2020 price list for OSD has a T8 Polestar Engineered V60 listed as an option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts