SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took a spin in my friends Audi Allroad. We live in Atlanta, Georgia so we went off roading ("mudding") during lunch and had a lot of fun. I hadn't done anything like that in years, and never with a "car" (native Georgians usually have a 1 truck per household rule).

Anyway, anyone have pics/stories of their Volvo AWD in an offroad situation?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have any pics or stories, but could you please give us some details about the Audi's performance?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure,
I'll elaborate on the trip we took for context.

The Audi was a new 2002 allroad quattro, automatic. It was a loaner while my friends A4 was in the shop.

We were able to do a little running around on pavement before hand so I got the feeling (from the passenger side) that the biturbo v6 was in the upper 200's and had no problem putting it to the ground. It also seemed to take off and corner in a style that was VERY similar to the s60 AWD that I have, albeit with more power than the 2.4t.

Once offroad, we took it easy for a bit. It seemed pay no attention to large areas of mud (it had rained here recently). When we did gun it, it seemed to act just like you see rally cars act. Point it and it goes that way, more or less when you expect it to.

The turbos were obviosly working, giving us a few rooster tails and some audio feedback but the tire guards kept the rest of the car pretty clean. That cleanliness was obliterated later during a run across an extremely large muddy powerline area at full bore.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. we progressively went up steeper inclines. Backend weight did not seem to be a big problem or cause the ride up hill to get out of balance.

Once lifted all the way up, it handled dips and navigation like a stock Cherokee. Provided me a 10 on the fun scale.

The guy in the back seat got some mud in his face because the sunroof had been opened, but he didn't seem to mind.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
We did a comparison with it and the V70 XC at Land Rover's exhibition track at their old HQ in Landover, MD.

The allroad is definitely the higher performance of the two, but the XC is surprisingly good in the comparison considering the price difference.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Yeah, my test drive with the new XC was very pleasant. It rode very well off road..and did we take it off road or what~!! It was not your regular unpaved road, there were some serious dips and puddles. And the car drove like my 240 driving through DC streets.

I'm anxious to test drive the car again once it's Haldex equip'd.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought that both Swedespeed and VWVortex did a story on the Allroad and XC70.

Maybe my memory is bad since I'm sure the moderator would have mentioned it.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
e_rpm,

Check AudiWorld, there are a lot of cool allroad folks over there who really take to off-roading seriously.

-Drew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts