SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if the OEM Volvo cross bars are easily removable or not. I intend to remove the bars when not needed, and while the OEM bars seem to fit nicely (no overlap beyond the sides of the roof rails), I have a feeling they aren't meant to be removed.

Any experience with these? Thx.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll reply to my own thread as I just bought them. :)

Yes, they easily come on/off. The cover (on the end of the bars) comes off with a quarter twist of a key, or the provided tool. The covers are tethered to the bar body via a rubber cord - nice touch.

This then exposes the bolt, which uses a head that is NEARLY IDENTICAL to a T-30 (torx head), but not quite - as a test my T-30 head didn't quite go into the bolt enough. I'd be concerned if you lost the tool.

The tool has a built-in torque indicator so that you can confirm installation.

The bars as silver, have a rubber strip, and are arched, as you've likely seen in photos.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is it a "Torx plus" head? Slightly different to a Torx and not compatible.....or could it be a Triple Square head, often confused with Torx.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with Torx Plus.

The "star" on the T-30 seems to match the "star" on the Volvo tool perfectly - at least to my naked eye - but the T-30 will only go into the bolt head by about 1mm. I suppose you could get by in an emergency, but the potential to strip the head is there.

Meanwhile, the Volvo tool will go at least 5mm into the bolt. I can't really see a difference, but it must be slightly thinner or tapered. If that sounds like Torx Plus, let me know, and I might just by a spare of that type.

I can imagine that Volvo created a semi-proprietary system to prevent people from simply taking off your bars. Or, could just be that my T-30 head is fat. :)

In any event, the system is really nicely done - especially the tethered covers - and can be adjusted or removed in a matter of minutes. Also, as some have mentioned in my research, the Volvo bars are nice since they don't extend beyond the side rails like some Thule systems.

They do look pretty good, but I'll be removing them when not used.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info - I've been thinking about getting some cross bars for my V70 R-Design. I like that they're aero and silver. Do you mind my asking what you paid for them at the dealer? And do they make any whistling noises when mounted? Thanks!

·
Registered
739 Posts
178 at Stamford Volvo. No whistling.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Security Torx...

Triple Sqaure (12 point)....
Thanks Cory. It's not Torx Plus as there isn't extra room between the points - the Torx-30 fits it nicely, just doesn't go in deep enough. Not security torx or multi-point either.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info - I've been thinking about getting some cross bars for my V70 R-Design. I like that they're aero and silver. Do you mind my asking what you paid for them at the dealer? And do they make any whistling noises when mounted? Thanks!
Paid $236 Canadian, which a rip-off compared to US pricing, but I got the Atlantis at a good price, so I didn't care. Haven't tried without the box yet, but Toy Slacker says they should be pretty quiet. Also depends on mount points apparently - I have them behind the sunroof and behind the rear siderail reinforcement (thick, mounting point for factory rails) respectively - about as far back as I can go.

I'll let you know how it sounds.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No whistling noises, but there is slight wind noise from the bars - nothing major though. I'd say you could leave them on permanently without issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a source online where these OE cross bars can be found?
Do you have a part number?
Also, a more general question, does anyone know if Volvo has an online parts/accessories site?

I am new to Volvos and just got an 06 XC70. I really like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts