SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help on my first SS post regarding 245/40/R18s on my S60R.

Now, another tire topic: the reason my 235/40/R18 KDWs are in need of replacement in the first place is that I had low pressure in one of the tires, but due to their low profile (and my inattention), I didn't actually notice this until I had damaged the tire from driving on it while flat.

Now, normally this would be something the TPMS monitoring system would be ideal for, but according to the owners manual, TPMS is only found in "select US models". Unfortunately, despite having bought the car in California, my S60R was originally sold by Volvo in Germany, making it a European model, which doesn't have TPMS.

Is there any way to install TPMS on an S60R if it didn't have this option coming off the assembly line? I checked http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx and didn't seem to find anything.

--Alex

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
A few aftermarket options are available. I installed a Hella TC-400 TPMS system when I bought tires the last time. Works pretty well, transmitters are part of the valve stem assembly and are activated when the tire is pressurized. The device comes with a receiver that gets mounted in the cabin (I put mine in the area right of the driver's foot-well behind the molding panel) and that connects to a display unit that shows your tire pressure status.

Here's where I mounted my display:

·
Registered
621 Posts
was reading another thread and was inspired by tuscani66's tpms mod. so I decided to do the same minus the CF wrap. valve stem sensors getting installed tomorrow... :)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
astram - I personally used Orange TPMS system (bought on eBay). The monitor can be hard wired or used with cigarette lighter socket power.

bcheng4jc - Looks great brother! If you were closer, I have some CF wrap laying around haha but clean nonetheless. :)

Here is a picture of my setup:
Photobucket
Photobucket

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
A few aftermarket options are available. I installed a Hella TC-400 TPMS system when I bought tires the last time. Works pretty well, transmitters are part of the valve stem assembly and are activated when the tire is pressurized. The device comes with a receiver that gets mounted in the cabin (I put mine in the area right of the driver's foot-well behind the molding panel) and that connects to a display unit that shows your tire pressure status.

Here's where I mounted my display:
I like this setup. Looks like and clean.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
On cars with the factory TPMS, where does it display? Im not sure if I have it on my car or not.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i think the TMPS warning will light up and a message will be displayed in in the lower left of your cluster....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i think the TMPS warning will light up and a message will be displayed in in the lower left of your cluster....
Thanks for the tip. After checking VIDA, my car does not have this option.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help on my first SS post regarding 245/40/R18s on my S60R.

Now, another tire topic: the reason my 235/40/R18 KDWs are in need of replacement in the first place is that I had low pressure in one of the tires, but due to their low profile (and my inattention), I didn't actually notice this until I had damaged the tire from driving on it while flat.

Now, normally this would be something the TPMS monitoring system would be ideal for, but according to the owners manual, TPMS is only found in "select US models". Unfortunately, despite having bought the car in California, my S60R was originally sold by Volvo in Germany, making it a European model, which doesn't have TPMS.

Is there any way to install TPMS on an S60R if it didn't have this option coming off the assembly line? I checked http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx and didn't seem to find anything.

--Alex
Although I wouldn't say its impossible it would probably be very difficult and expensive though. The system consists of the sensors themselves (easy install), the receiver (hard to obtain) and the software (easy as long as its not downloaded according to VIN), If IIRC everything is VIN specific in VIDA for software downloads so if you car shows up without TPMS even being an option then not likely to get the software.

My car has TPMS from the factory, when I put aftermarket wheels on without TPMS initially I had the four tires with TPMS in the back and the system immediately faulted upon driving for the first time, pressure begins being checked at speeds above 20mph. The sensor range is very limited to prevent your cars sensors reporting into another car on the same frequency from what I've read and by evidenced in my experience I'm guessing the receiver is located in the HUB or is part of the ABS sensor.

Any aftermarket system is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
astram - I personally used Orange TPMS system (bought on eBay). The monitor can be hard wired or used with cigarette lighter socket power.

bcheng4jc - Looks great brother! If you were closer, I have some CF wrap laying around haha but clean nonetheless. :)

Here is a picture of my setup:
Photobucket
Photobucket
I know this is a major thread revival but these units are readily available on eBay still.
I seriously like what you've done here by mounting the screen in the roof. Do you have any further instructions on how you did this install please?

Best regards, Lee. (from across the pond)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I installed mine in the same spot, same carbon fiber vinyl covering and everything. I stole his idea.
Anyway, it's good and I recommend it, the Orange system I mean.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
All the Volvos with TPMS up to this point have the sensors inside wheel attached to the valve stem. Originally they all used metal valve stems but then they moved to conventional looking rubber stems with the sensor attached to it.
Higher resolution wheel speed sensors are now being used that allow ABS tracking for tire deflation which means saving the money that TPMS senors cost. The ABS system could have determined low tire inflation in the past but only reliably at higher speeds and the legal requirements would not be met since warnings would not be set for vehicles operated at low speeds in town.
The receiver is the same as the one for door lock/unlock remotes. TPMS is a legally required feature and I have never seen a remove or install software in VIDA. Legally required items are coded in the vehicle file and the software for these things will be included as part of reloads or upgrades for the modules handling the functionality.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Actually the function in(with) UEM. which need "active" by software from VIDA. the display will show up on trip computer there (left). I checked the PN is same on 2005/ 2006. but the one of 2006 can be activated. with Volvo sensor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts