SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
overall easy to do and minimal impact to the car's appearance

I used all OEM Volvo components other than the ball mount and the ball.

hitch unit 30682110
4 pin harness 30664651
module 30664974
rubber cover 8685772

Everything was [email protected] including shipping. My hitch unit kit included the rubber cover so you can save ~$20 by not ordering the rubber cover. Now I have an extra.

Notes:
1. The place I ordered from called and said I could not use the 4pin harness with my car based on the VIN and I needed a 7 pin harness and a $100 4-7 pin adapter. I said we'll see about that, send me the 4 pin. 4 pin works great no issues with the car or the trailer lights, all work as intended.

2. Nothing about this was particularly tricky, the Volvo instructions are easy to follow and make sense. This website :http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us was helpful. Allows you to print just the instructions for your car in the language you need. The instructions included with the parts have 90 languages and are all folded up

3. Cutting the bumper requires patience. My method was to go slowly and do many test fits. I probably took the bumper on and off 8 times but the slot I cut in the bumper is just right. I used a dremel with a tiny cutoff wheel for the main cuts and then a sanding wheel to curve things up and smooth things out.

tucks in nicely

not bad

all done- tows like a dream- seadoo with trailer is about 1,250 lbs

this is too bright but lets you focus on the hitch-related components

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got a smoking deal on a used OEM hitch and harness of eBay. I discovered that the S60 and V70 models are actually slightly different, and I ended up having to use spacers to make the S60 version work on my car. It ended up looking great and is plenty strong. Having the 2" receiver makes all the difference!

Here's what I used mine for most recently...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Love those photos!

I have a 2" OEM on my 04 V70, though I'm debating on taking it off and putting it on my 06 VR. I wonder if it will fit.

·
Registered
200 Posts

with the factory trailer tow package, you get the plug seen above, the wiring harness, and two black boxes that, on the wagon, plug in to the car harness behind the left rear side panel.
The floor of the trunk is factory pre-drilled with a rubber grommet, so all you need do is punch a hole in the grommet to pass the signal wire through to the plug unit.
One of the "black boxes" adjusts the engine / transmission to "towing mode" when you plug the trailer harness in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That is really good looking!

Anyone know where to get these? I've searched for sellers on Amazon and Ebay but no luck... Is the only place the Volvo dealer?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts