SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced struts and with both sway bar links removed I noticed I could not pivot the sway bar. Car has about 130K and I assume sway bar is OEM.

Are the rubber bushings keyed to the sway bar or is the bushing seized to it?

Does anyone make OEM replacement bushings? I have not been able to find any. All I can find are bushings from Elevate which they say are designed for use with Elevate bars only.

Reading the posts I have to drop the frame to replace the bar which I rather not get into.

Thank you

·
Registered
438 Posts
That is normal in my experience. The rubber ones grip the bar when closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
^ This, the bar only rotates a few degrees, so like the other rubber bushings in your car the rubber allows enough deflection even without any slippage between the bar and the mount.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
The OEM bushings are vulcanized and not replaceable. You're only practical options are to replace the sway bar with an aftermarket sway bar that will have replaceable bushings or buy a new OEM sway bar which of course comes with new vulcanized bushings attached.

You don't really drop the subframe but you do have to loosen it considerably and let the rear hang supported by a jack, while you maneuver the sway bar out. It's not the worst job to do but definitely a bit of a PITA.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The OEM bushings are vulcanized and not replaceable. You're only practical options are to replace the sway bar with an aftermarket sway bar that will have replaceable bushings or buy a new OEM sway bar which of course comes with new vulcanized bushings attached.

You don't really drop the subframe but you do have to loosen it considerably and let the rear hang supported by a jack, while you maneuver the sway bar out. It's not the worst job to do but definitely a bit of a PITA.
I want to thank everyone for the input. If the rubber is vulcanized to the bar it explains why it seams seized (bonded) to the bar.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I want to thank everyone for the input. If the rubber is vulcanized to the bar it explains why it seams seized (bonded) to the bar.
Exactly! I probably said a lot more than I needed to, to get that point across.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts