SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit 12k, and my pro-contacts are almost at the wearbars..... Is this common? I know oems are crap but wow 12k crap?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Mine lasted to 34k miles on my 2012 S60RD (235/40/R18 95V rated) and I still probably could have stretched them for another couple thousand miles but I switched them to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I can't remember how many miles mine lasted but it was surprisingly low. They were summer tires.
The Michelin I replaced them with also lasted very little so maybe it is the way I drive. I started taking it easy around curves.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just took mine off after 32,000 miles. Almost down to the wear bars, wanted more tread for the winter

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just north of 19000 miles right now. Based on current minimal wear I'd expect 30-40k miles before they are done. Rotated at around 10k and will continue to do so for the life of the tires. Can't say that helps or not, but have always done it and tire wear has been good on all cars.

TJ

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I drive fast but not that crazy... However I do have 5 roundabouts near my house I use 2x a day... lol Maybe too much fun?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm just passed 30K on mine (235/45-17), and the fronts are basically on the wear bars. The rears have lots of tread left but aren't close to round anymore. At my first service, I didn't realize that tire rotations were not recommended by Volvo, so I didn't ask to have it done. When I asked at my second service (about 17K miles) and had the tires rotated, the noise and vibration was unbelievable so I put them back where they were. I generally don't drive aggressively, spend most of my time on the highway, and don't deal with a bunch of hills and corners, so 30-35K is probably best case for these awful tires. I plan to get the Pirelli P7 many have recommended on here, and plan to rotate them much more frequently to try to even out the wear and avoid the annoying thumping I got so quickly on the Continentals.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
We got about 40k out of our ProContacts. I think you can file a treadwear warranty claim with Continental. I believe they are a 40k mile tire.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
As a matter of fact just took my T6 RD in for it's 40K service (actual is 38K), and all four ProContacts are at 6/32 tread.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I got 11k on mine and tread's deep...you must drive like I'd like to, but can't...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
OP: has to be the driving... But 12K is still pushing it. At the wear-bars you're talking 2-3/32" right?
My Michelins are 6/32" at 36K miles. My co-worker is at 5/32" at 52K.
I know I take the corners way too fast, so they wear out faster.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I got 17K miles out of mine before they were on bald. I make the mistake of replacing them with equally bad conti DW which lasted a whole 22K miles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine are pretty close to the wear bars after 37k miles minus about 7k miles for winters. So 30k miles. Who cares if you didn't get the max tread life out of them...they suck anyways!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I intensely dislike these tires. I got my car with 9k miles and I currently have 15k miles on it and the tires, and they have been extremely loud, unpleasant tires. I'm amazed at how much noise this car makes cruising on the highway and it greatly reduces my enjoyment driving what is supposed to be a luxury car. It's amazing how these tires drag an otherwise nice car down. I still have plenty of tread left but I'm hoping to ditch these tires long before they have a chance to wear out.

How do the Conti DWS and Pirelli P7 compare with the ProContact in terms of road noise and ride quality? Do they transform the car's NVH levels and your perception of the car's quality?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Bump.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
I have the OEM P7's and have been very pleased. I only have 12k miles on my car so can't speak to longevity at this point but based on what I have experienced thus far I would definitely get them again.

I had the DWS on my V70R and they were good too. They have been the "go to" tire for the P2R cars as their softer sidewall helps mitigate some of the 4C suspension's shortcomings (crash, sidehop). Some folks don't like the DWS as the soft sidewalls have resulted in some bent wheels. This was a few years ago so I don't know if the newer generation of the DWS is different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I replaced mine at 5k miles. They were wearing very fast (I do drive aggressively, and all city miles), but I had a sidewall issue and a nail in the other. I put on a set of the new Michelin Premeir A/S and I couldn't be happier. Much improved grip in both dry and wet - rides like a whole new car.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I got about 22K out of my set. One of them had a manufacturing defect (thread separation), which caused the car to drift to the right, when the culprit tire was mounted in front (when in back - no noticeable drivability issues). This and squealing in corners were my only complaints. No snow (or significant rain) in San Diego, of course. Replaced with 1 size taller Bridgestone RE970's, no complaints so far, except ~1mpg hit. Next time will probably go to Discount Tire and a get a set of their Yokohama Y580's.

·
Registered
687 Posts
pretty normal for me i got 15K out the front 2 & replaced both front & rears at 40K ( cause the OEM rears were at the wear bars )

replaced with conti DWS.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
pretty normal for me i got 15K out the front 2 & replaced both front & rears at 40K ( cause the OEM rears were at the wear bars )

replaced with conti DWS.
How would you compare the DWS to the ProContacts? Are they much quieter?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts